PDA

View Full Version : I.D. Help...Please

gtrestoration
06/05/2003, 10:05 AM
I have had this coral for about 6 weeks and seems to be doing ok so far (kinda, early I know). The attached pic is just about how it looks night and day. It does extend sweepers, but only early morning as it begins to get light in the house. These sweepers are not out when it is dark. The sweepers are from 1/4" - 3/4" long and come from what I would call the growth tips.

Any idea what it is? LFS said is was fairly hardy and I liked the color and shape, so you know the story.:rolleyes:

Steve U

Tobyt
06/05/2003, 10:14 AM
Kind of hard to tell from the photo, but it resembles an unhappy caulastrea, and would be consistent with your description.

If caulastrea, the polyps should be more expanded if happy. Moved to an area with less water movement, it might do so. If you are using Metal Halides, you might want to move it where it gets less light. Caulastrea opens up at dusk, but learns to open during the day at the time of your feeding.

General good advice is: avoid impulse buying. Deposit money, research it, then buy it.

gtrestoration
06/05/2003, 11:09 AM
Tobyt,

If by "caulastrea" you mean "candy cane", I don't think thats it. I have what I know to be caulastrea and it is doing very well and extends its meaty flesh during the day and sweepers at night.

I know the pic is real bad. I took about 10 pics this am after my coffee, so between my shaking and a 1.3 MP camera this is what I got. Think I'll try under MH tonight after a couple of Coronas.

Regarding...

General good advice is: avoid impulse buying. Deposit money, research it, then buy it.

I do agree about research first, but this was at an out of town LFS store. I don't think I have ever seen it at LFS nor can I find it in any of the books that I own.

So... in this case I allowed myself to "Impulse buy". I don't believe I am risking anything but my dollars in this case, as the piece is already captive.

There are many types of corals which I do, in fact, agree should be left in the wild (such as what is commonly called flower pot) and if this is another of those types then shame on me.

I don't believe however that there are any types of coral which are not being collected due to their inabiltity to be succesfully kept in captivity. If they are not being collected it is because they will not survive even the trip to the LFS.

I am totally against collecting corals with the idea that you are "Renting" and that they are "Disposable". I have had SW tanks for over twenty years and guess either I know what I'm doing (somewhat...with much to learn) or I'll just never learn(as in... "in one side an out the other"). Thanks for trying though.

And BTW, thanks for your input on the ID (actual question).:)