PDA

View Full Version : RR Overflow Box Question

Landry
06/05/2003, 08:20 AM
I just purchased a new 100gal and had a question on the builtin overflow box. Should they typically built with a water tight seal? The reason I ask this is I finished my plumbing and got water into the tank. Adjusted water levels, pumps, anti-siphons etc and then turned off the tank to ensure the anti-siphon worked properly.

There is a slow leak from the tank into the overflow box. The leak appears to be at the bottom as I see very minute water movement in the bottom of the overflow. The water level slowly builds until it just trickles through the first hole in the drain tube. So now I have 100 gal slowly migrating into a 30gal sump.

Am I wrong in being worried? I just don't want to experience a flood during the first substantial power outage we might have.

Vert20
06/05/2003, 08:27 AM
IME, yes they should be water tight. There should not be any water entering the overflow once the water level drops below the inlets to that overflow box.

HTH

Orr2003
06/05/2003, 08:33 AM
Yes the overflow should be sealed tight.
The only water getting into the overflow should be from the surface (over the overflow)

It seems that you have a faulty tank.

But All-Glass's new RR tanks have slots on the bottom of the overflow box to let more water in.
If it does not have slots towards the bottom of the overflow box then yes i would say it is leaking.

Take it back, and request a new one.

I know it sucks but it happens.
Sorry about you luck.

Scott

numlock
06/05/2003, 09:38 AM
The all glass overflows do have the slots at the bottem but they are also doubble walled so the water from the bottem still has to flow up and over the top, if it is leaking i would have to say somthing is wrong and needs to be corrected.