PDA

View Full Version : Baking Soda RAISES PH!!

TomV
06/05/2003, 08:07 AM
I just started my 29g Saltwater tank on June 1. My PH was running at 7.4 for some reason and I read on a bunch of websites that you can add Baking Soda dissolved in a cup of water to your tank to raise the PH. Well, I tried it and it worked. But it only raised the PH to 7.7 in several hours.

So, I tested it again this morning... and it was between 8.2 and 8.3!!! WOW! Incidentally, the water was a little cloudy since I had set up the tank. This morning, it is CRYSTAL CLEAR!

Here is what about.com says about Baking Soda: "Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) can be used as a quick band-aid to raise the pH in a tank. It will temporarily suffice in an emergency situation until a water change can be made, and it can be found in most kitchens. Just dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda for each 20 gallons of tank water in a cup, then slowly pour it into your aquarium. The pH change will not be noticeable immediately, so wait for about an hour and test again before adding more. Keep doing this until you obtain the pH level you desire. "

Anyone else ever do this?

For someone in a bind and broke, like I was, it was a pure MIRACLE!

Valab
06/05/2003, 08:15 AM
Nothing wrong with baking soda. You should read randy's 'how-to' articles in the Reef Chemistry forum.

Baking soda causes an initial decrease in pH over several hours then the pH reverses to about the 8.3 level as CO2 is made and blown off. You can avoid the pH drop by mixing the baking soda and aerating it overnight or so before adding to your tank.

Read Randy's stuff!!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605