PDA

View Full Version : What was the reaction you got when you.....

steviep
06/05/2003, 07:59 AM
....told your significant other that you just got a "great deal" on ANOTHER tank and that you were actually considering running (insert your number here) 2 tanks.

Last night as I had that conversation with my wife I got a shocked gasp along with a chuckle - until she realized I was serious!

Thought there'd be some funny stories here.

SteveP

rbaker
06/05/2003, 08:07 AM
My wife just smiled and said "great, I need another Louis Vuitton purse" :D

Ryan

Rockfish
06/05/2003, 08:13 AM
I am building out a bonus room over my garage. It will have a game room and I was thinking of putting in another tank. I have a feeling once I broach the subject I 'll be living out there as well :-)

ginntonic74
06/05/2003, 08:14 AM
Yeah i tried that one with the wife.
Goes a little something like this
me; " Guess what, a friend of mine is going to give me a 90 gal for free"
Her; what ( mean look on her face)
me; " im serious for free"
her " i dont think so "
me" but deaar its free, even if i just put it down stairs for a year or two"
her;" idont think so"
me" but i promise i wont set it up right away" ( yeah right, that puppy is going to get set up next week)
her; I dont think so you will set it up next week when i go out for the day"
Me" no i wont i promise" (damn she caught me)
her" over my dead body. If you bring that tank home you will be sorry"
i had to think about it. how sorry could she make me be. I mean come on its a 90 gal tank for free. I could take anything she could dish out for a free 90 gal.
Me; " I think i will get it"
her; " if you get the tank you will not get anything else for a while.
thought she was talking about supplies for the tank. Alright i wore her down. I win right.
wrong
Get to bed get a litle frisky, i mean come on i won the decision im getting a 90gal tank.
Little did i realize she didnt mean supplies.

dc
06/05/2003, 08:15 AM
NO!!!!

:D

Hemmie
06/05/2003, 08:27 AM
Gintonic, LOL!!!!

I hate to admit it, but I LIE.
Yup...I'm not much of a liar and never was until RC and Reefing corrupted me.

"Old tank is leaking, getting the new one FREE (yes dear, they replace the leakers with a bigger tank. Public relations and all that) As long as they're gonna let me KEEP this old leaker, I'll set it up!!! How? If it's leaking? Um...........I'll just fill it half full!

No..I don't need to buy any more equipment (apply for another credit card online, MY name only)

LFS is gonna replace this old lighting FREE!

And............

Oh, thats my new Harlequin Tusk. Only $9.99!

What new fish? Oh that? Ann gave it to me. Cute, eh?

No, dear, that Skimmer and UV sterilizer you saw on your credit card bill is for your Goldfish tank. I'll just try em out on my Reef to make sure they work. Dont wanna put your Goldfish in jeopardy! Naw..thats ok..no thanks necessary.

The Starfish? Um.....it came on the Live Rock!! Isn't that neat!!

Vert20
06/05/2003, 08:36 AM
Wife: (on Phone) "Um, Steve, UPS just dropped off this box from (place store name here). I didn't know you ordered anything."
Me: "Oh that must be the backorder from last month... Is it heavy?
Wife: "yes..."
Me: "Can you carefully cut it open, and see what's in it? Not sure what it is, but IF it has bags of water try not to puncture them.."
Wife: "Yes it is bags of water, oh wait here is the packing slip..."
Me: "Oh don't worry about...
Wife: "The date says it was ordered two days ago and shipped yesterday following a verbal confirmation..."
Me: "really?"
Wife: "Yes, Really."

Wooops...:D

Aquaman
06/05/2003, 09:04 AM
LOL, Acutally last night I told my wife a buddy was selling his 220 tank and he offered it to me for a real steal!. Her first words were NO, But I kindly and with a gentle back rub in progress reminded her of the rule she put in place about upgrading tanks,

I have to keep a tank for a minumim of 2 years before I can upgrade that tank. hehe My 125 is almost 4 years old now!

She then said, Ok whatever!:D

minfinger
06/05/2003, 10:05 AM
Oh those are good...Mine's even better, I think LOL

So wow, how long has it been since I got my 180G Tank? Hmm..Like 3 months!

The LFS got this great deal and a Stand/Tank/Hood/Flour-Light Combo, like $1200 for the whole thing w/ drilled overflows! Normally around $1600 or so...That's what I told my mom and my finacee. It was close to the truth. For soem reason that escapes me right now, I had to send my finacee 2 seperate orders of a dozen roses :D My mom got a really cool nice flower arrangement too. Then I proceeded to break down the benefits and well there were no drawbacks to my mom, the financer of the tank. Several 3 pages emails later, she gave in :D Now I make small payments to mom every month :(

On the otherside of that, my finacee said I couldn't have it, wow that took some doing. I had to kiss butt for like 2 months! LOL But I eventually got the tank, which is now sitting at my moms in her garage until I pay it off. But I found this great deal on a 220 Gallon tank in the paper, turned out to be a 150, but anyway. I bought it for Darren @ www.PalmettoReefs.com and he came down to pick it up. He also bought the 180G Stand for $200 :D, since I was planning to build a custom stand anyway. So it's all good now :D

The topper, my finacee loves Clown fish, women:rolleye1:. So for Mother's day, along with a 1ct diamond necklace, she got a 29G tank and stand. I set it up this past weekend and when we get back from the honeymoon, her 3.5" Gold Bar Maroon from the 7G Nano will have new rocks to turn over :D Needless to say, I woke her up as I was carrying her present into the house. She was really really really happy about it. Now she can put more clownish inthe 7G tank LOL Instead of cahs, I worked out $200 worth of credit with Darren and I got some rock and some really cool Corals last weekend. I setup the tank until 3AM Saturday Morning and the lights came in Yesterday :D

Do you have any idea whose more excited about the 29G tank? Do ya?

I decided to post pone the 180 for a few years. I figured by the time I got it up and running and just working perfect, it would be time to sell the house and move. I don't want to move a 180 Gallon reef!! So when I get the new house, I'll have it built into the wall or build a much nicer stand than I had planned.

hehe...I win either way :D
Mike

64Ivy
06/05/2003, 10:26 AM
Me: "Umm, hon...?
She: "Forget about it".

fin