PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a method of transferring Substrate Creatures?

Schmev
06/05/2003, 12:20 AM
I'll be ordering 45-50 lbs of LR for my 29G soon. So I would guess in about another month I will begin to transfer inverts and bugs to the new tank. My existing tank is Crushed Coral (LFS recommendation :p ), but I personally handpicked some small LR chunks that I spotted a baby brittle star, several pod species, stomatellas, and a handful of tiny bristleworms. Now they live in the CC, and I hope to save as many as possible.

What method will work to transfer the creatures, but not let any of that CC into the tank? I seeded my new tank's sand with a 4-inch net filled with a scoop of my CC and laid it carefully on the bottom. Made it really easy to remove the CC after the cycle died down. But I don't think all the critter's left the net, and I'm just leaving it there for now.

First of all, I know the obvious answer is to simply sift through a cup at a time in a shallow dish, but that ain't gonna happen! :rollface: I'd hate to leave those critters behind, but I'm not keeping that CC forever, ya know? I'm not digging through with my finger with those Bristleworms.

conundrum
06/05/2003, 01:10 AM
If you seeded the new tank, they will multiply. If you are not going to use the old cc, there is little you can do, it is not practicle to save them all.

absolut
06/05/2003, 01:15 AM
When I changed mine over someone here reccomended I put some of my old substrate into pantyhose and lay it along the bottom to transfer bacteria and bugs, although I dont think many big bugs could make it through. HTH