PDA

View Full Version : My Mh canopy is almost done.

Loudz34
06/04/2003, 11:27 PM
Yes the time is here, We got my canopy on the tank tonight, what a monster it was.... It has 3- 400w Mh ( Actually it has only two right now and waiting for a 3rd one to come in .. which is a 10k ushio(unless one of you guys have one to sell localy..... ) It has a 10k on the ends and a 20k radium center with 4-36" Vho atinics. But i think i am going to switch to 4-96w Pc Atinics.. they look a bit more blue.... :-) but i will post pics as soon as i get a chance to snap some....

Gary Majchrzak
06/04/2003, 11:32 PM
Sounds like a light show....can't wait to see this thing!
{I'd still stick with VHO actinics, though.}

Loudz34
06/05/2003, 07:21 AM
Gary,
Why would you stick to who over Pc? they dont seem as bright as the pc's, Maybe I have the bulb turned the wrong way( I believe there are reflectors in the vho's,,, Right?? But I think i like the look of the 2-10k on end and 20 center with the atinics.... Hopefully I'll have some good coral growth.... B/c i have a spegetti leather thats mad at me b/c of my previous lighting when we changed tank size...

drscheck
06/05/2003, 07:29 AM
I have to agree with Gary, I have always used PC actinics and would really like to switch to VHO's, I just don't want to spend the money or time doing it.

I think that the specific wavelength of light is different between to two types of bulb and I like the VHO look over the PC look. IMO, VHO's make the corals fluoresce better and more intense.

Gary Majchrzak
06/05/2003, 07:41 AM
Ditto what Doug stated. Plus- you already HAVE the VHO actinics!
Why spend money to 'downgrade'? {uh-oh, here come the PC police!}

Loudz34
06/05/2003, 07:55 AM
Lol Gary. I would be spending anything but my time. I have a 2x96 Pc setup(retro) and a 2x65(retro) also, and last a 2x96 pc in a 72" Aluminum hood. I might just have to lower the who's then to get a blue'r look.... <- I know that wasnt a correct phrase. Or I might just quite being a cheap skate and by an icecap 660 ballast...

kmagyar
06/05/2003, 08:54 AM
I would consider using both vho and PC, providing that you have the room and tolerance for heat. I know a couple guys that did that, including myself now. It seems to really even things out, plus it gives you multiple viewing options. One thing that Randy was telling me is that PCs come in 2 different colors, true actinic and 7100k (painted glass). The 7100K bulbs give your reef more of an electric blue look. I have yet to order these bulbs but I would like to try them.

Loudz34
06/05/2003, 09:23 AM
My vho bulbs say 7100k on them, I wonder if thats why I dont like the color....I didnt know there was two different colors.... Humm, Might be calling to order a set of true atinics then( That would be considered 03 right?)

Guy
06/05/2003, 09:39 AM
Try URI SuperActinic.

RandyO
06/05/2003, 08:52 PM
I would agree with Keith. If you already have both setups, I'd add both. The 7100K PC bulbs really put out an electric blue. I believe Todd used these bulbs to get that awsome color from his torch. He used PC's, VHO and MH. Pet's Plus's show tank has the same setup.
Personally, I've always liked VHO over PC's, so if I had to choose 1, I would go with VHO. But if I could do both, I would.

Loudz,
If you'd like to see the difference side by side, you can come check out my tanks. I have a PC lit tank right next to a VHO+MH tank. I also have a VHO only tank in my basement.

In the end, I think it all comes down to what looks good to you.:)

RandyO
06/05/2003, 08:53 PM
I think CF has the 7100K PC's in their show tank, downstairs.

Loudz34
06/05/2003, 09:24 PM
randy. where abouts are you located? I think i am going to tyr and sell my 2. 2x96 w pc setups or trade for an icecap 660 ballast... that might be my problem ..... along with the fact that they are 7100k bulbs.....

dgodwin
06/05/2003, 09:31 PM
Don't go to randy's. You'll get envious, and start to spend all sorts of (or even more) money! :D Seriously, his tanks are awesome, and you should really check them out. I was glad I did.