PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide setup?

pcameron
06/04/2003, 10:33 PM
Wanting to put a metal halide light in my eclipse 12 so i can add more types of coral. was wondering if anyone could suggest a set a set up that would work pretty well and where i could get it. looked at hellolights but just not sure about the sizes and stuff. thanks guys

Aaron1100us
06/04/2003, 10:39 PM
Check out the nano threads. Someone should be able to help you there. I've seen some small pendants with like a 150 or 175w mh that would work. Have you figured out how you are going to deal with the heat? I'm guessing the pendants that take the double ended bulbs would be smaller than the mogul base pendants. Not for sure though. Do you know the measurements for you tank?

Aframomum
06/04/2003, 10:40 PM
Hi there,

The best way I found to put a MH on a nano without having to build a hood that is at least 15" high is to use a pendant. I don't know how much experience you have with MH but you could get yourself a pendant, ballast, and bulb and have a nice setup for just about anything. Here is a link to the type of pendant I have on my 20H nano: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=ICE-PENDANT&Category_Code=Pendantshells
Hope this helps,

Mark

Aframomum
06/04/2003, 10:44 PM
One thing about double ended bulbs and pendants is with light spread. I have seen a double ended pendant on a 10 gallon and the light directly below the pendant was very nice and bright, but as soon as you progress outward from the pendant the light levels drop considerably, too much for my tastes personally. Look at a setup using a double ended bulb before you purchase one.

Mark

pcameron
06/04/2003, 10:49 PM
thanks guys for the help i'll look at the stuff you've said