PDA

View Full Version : Coralline Stimulant

TBall
06/04/2003, 10:30 PM
I use coralline stimulant from Florida Aqua Farms and it is working very well. You dose it twice a week at a hundred drops at a time. The coralline is growing like crazy.

wedfr
06/04/2003, 10:33 PM
whats in it? other then calcium im guessing

intekhab
06/04/2003, 10:36 PM
That's great news TBALL :thumbsup:

Say, what kind of lighting setup do you have? Photoperiod? Also, do you use a Calcium reactor?

By the way, are you talking about this item ? (http://www.florida-aqua-farms.com/Section04/FAFw4.htm)

wishmaster
06/04/2003, 10:43 PM
100 drops no matter what size tank? Sounds a little shaddy to me if thats the case.

wedfr
06/04/2003, 11:18 PM
its 1 drop per gallon 1 -2 times a week

it says it has metals and trace elements and vitamins that stimulate zooxanthelae algae, makes soem other claims too

chuckie
06/05/2003, 12:27 AM
I have just started to use Vital Reef DNA and am seeing coraline results plus my corals have grown also!! One tspn for every 100gal daily for a month then 3 times a week.

TBall
06/05/2003, 09:41 AM
Sorry I should have been more clear. I have a 125 gallon tank that is why I put 125 drops in twice a week. It is based on a one drop per gallon dosage. It has chelated iron, iodide and other essential trace metals and vitamins including B12, biotin, thiamin, and others. (right off the bottle.) You guys will definitely see the difference. I have a fish only system with one anenome for my marroon clown. I have two actinics and two full spectrum lights on top of the aquarium. I just wanted to see more growth on the live rock that i have and man i have. It seems like the longer you do this the more that shows up.

jcigars
06/05/2003, 09:54 AM
I use Kent's Liquid Reactor stuff works great for me.

3twenty5
06/05/2003, 09:57 AM
I switched off daily using; ESV Bionic (2 part) then Kent Pro Buffer

I am getting great results, and corals look great

nvillacci
06/05/2003, 10:00 AM
Funny, I use Ms. Wages Pickling lime ($1.95 a bag at Walmart) and get the same results.
My coraline grows like crazy. My clams are building new shells structure, my corals are all growing and the polyps are out.

IME all of these supplements that companies sell, except maybe Calcium, are all either snake-oil or stuff your water already has in it when you perform water changes. Be careful your not just overloading on minerals that can be detrimental to your tank inhabitants.

RJ_22
06/05/2003, 10:37 AM
I use aragmilk. It works like a champ. From not having any coralline, to a full blown explosion in about 3 weeks.

guytano
06/05/2003, 10:41 AM
The pickling lime.......could you be more specific?
How much do you use, what size tank, how often?

and what is aragmilk?

nvillacci
06/05/2003, 10:45 AM
Do a google search for Ms. Wage's Pickling Lime. ITll throw you to the website where you can order it direct cheaply.

I have a 90 gallon, SPS heavy tank. I have a 3.5 gallon bucket that drips a mixture of 1 Tbs Pickling lime to 1 gallon RODI water.

It drips about 1.5 drip a minute into my sump, this replaces my evaporated water. Last about 3 days.

All I do is dump the lime in the bucket then add the water.

Thats it.

Plus its a hellofalot cheaper then anything Marine Specific, but its basically the same product.

RJ_22
06/05/2003, 10:46 AM
My fault, Aragamilk.It's liquid aragonite in a bottle. It contains all of the essential elements that are needed for saltwater tanks.

guytano
06/05/2003, 11:38 AM
So,
having a FOWLR, would the Lime be beneficial for my tank?? I too of course would like to increase my growth of Corraline, and I do have some polips and from what I am told a colt coral in my tank.
Do you think the method to add the stuff for someone without a sump would be to add a tablespoon per gallon to my water change buckets then poor it all in?

nvillacci
06/05/2003, 11:43 AM
Never add Kalk directly to a system, the PH swing can kill your tank, thats why you dose it. It does stabilize your PH and calcium if you do it right

intekhab
06/05/2003, 11:50 AM
The tank is topped- off daily with about half a gallon of RO filtered water mixed with Mrs. Wage's Pickling Lime (about a tablespoon per gallon) plus around a teaspoon of distilled white vinegar. The water is dripped into the sump from a gallon plastic juice jug through a plastic air valve nozzle with an air hose inserted about a third from the bottom. Theoretically, this allows the lime sediments to settle in the bottom of the jug, but I usually just add the limewater mixture to the sump while it's still milky. Recently, I've started adding some baking soda just in case the alkalinity needs boosting.

Interesting Maintenance tip from Mr. Tank of the Month ;)

nvillacci
06/05/2003, 11:54 AM
But on smaller tanks(I still consider my 90 gallon small) a ph swing caused by dumping can be lethal to your inhabitants.

Better safe then sorry.

Mr_Quality
06/05/2003, 11:55 AM
jcigars,I use Kent's Liquid Reactor stuff works great for me.

I'm surprised. This is simply a insoluble cacium carbonate slurry which won't disolve above pH 7 any better than crushed coral.

Are you measuring your Ca and alk? What are the readings?
What kind of Ca consumption do you have (SPS, LPS, clams)?

You may want to read this article (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm) .

Mike

jcigars
06/05/2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Quality
jcigars,

I'm surprised. This is simply a insoluble cacium carbonate slurry which won't disolve above pH 7 any better than crushed coral.

Are you measuring your Ca and alk? What are the readings?
What kind of Ca consumption do you have (SPS, LPS, clams)?

You may want to read this article (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm) .

Mike

The day I bought this The Kent Rep was in the LFS and seen me buying some Calcium additive. He approached me and told me that all I need to do is add this directly to my tank every two weeks. There was no dripping necessary I add two capfuls at night right before the lights go out.

I do not measure my CA or Alk. Guess I'm lucky my rock looks great. Pics are in my gallery. My tank is only 4 months old BTW.

I have one leather,bunch of zoo's ,some mushrooms and ricordia.

Guess I'm lucky but it's the only additive I use.

3_high_low
06/05/2003, 12:24 PM
jcigars, I'm glad it's working for you. But if/when you get some stony corals it would be advisable to measure your alk and ca++ concentration. Actually, it's probably a good idea to do that now. You might be surprised/disappointed.

You should check out that article Mr Q posted. It's a good read:).

jcigars
06/05/2003, 12:31 PM
I will check out the article as soon as I get a chance. I'm pretty happy with what I have in the tank now so not really into stoney corals. I will also have the LFS check my CA and Alk. Thanks for the info and trying to point me in the right direction.

oz
06/05/2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TBall
I use coralline stimulant from Florida Aqua Farms and it is working very well. You dose it twice a week at a hundred drops at a time. The coralline is growing like crazy.

What a coincidence. I just got mine yesterday. Have not used it yet. I ordered some zooplankton and amphipods from them and I saw the Coralline Stimulator, 6 oz was only $6.00 so I though what the heck, let me give it a try. Have not read the instructions but does it have to be refridgerated ?

Also, how would you really know if it is working. OK, let's assume in a month you have more coralline algae than you have now but there's no way of knowing if it was because of the product or something else, i.e. normal calcium level and time.

BTW, it is this product
http://www.florida-aqua-farms.com/Graphics/Coralline%20Stimulator.jpeg
And this is what they say on their website
Coralline Stimulatorâ„¢ is a complete, soluble, stable source of supplemental trace metals and essential vitamins. Principally formulated for enhancing growth and all colors of corals and other invertebrates. Stimulates zooxanthellae growth (microalgae) found in invertebrate tissues such as corals, anemones and clams. Retards hair algae. Does not alter pH. Use in either salt or freshwater. Use in conjunction with reef formers solutions of calcium hydroxide. This exact formula has been used by researchers at Florida Aqua Farms Inc. for over 20 years. Primary nutrients, nitrate and phosphate, are eliminated in Coralline Stimulator since it is intended for use in aquaria that have established populations of fish and/or invertebrates that are routinely fed. Metabolism of waste products from these animals normally provide sufficient levels of nitrate and phosphate. If you intend on growing only plants we suggest using our Micro Algae Grow (a full strength formula) or Macro Algae Grow (a trace mix formula). Coralline Stimulator is enriched with chelated iron, iodide, strontium chloride and other essential trace metals and vitamins including B12, biotin, thiamin and others. Use 1 drop/gallon 1 or 2 times a week.

Thanks. cheers.

oz
06/05/2003, 12:35 PM
"Retards hair algae" ?

Interesting!

jcigars
06/05/2003, 12:39 PM
http://www.kentmarine.com/lr.html

Look pretty easy. Not sure why you guys are against it.:confused:

jcigars
06/05/2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by jcigars
http://www.kentmarine.com/lr.html

Looks pretty easy to use. Not sure why you guys are against it.:confused:

Aquaman
06/05/2003, 12:40 PM
link posted above. (http://www.florida-aqua-farms.com/Section04/FAFw4.htm) Be carefull about adding to much of this product to your reef, it is a fertilizer and will cause algae to grow!

Coralline algae will grow quite well without adding to much additives to your tank, If you have good lighting, Calcium, PH/ALK and do your normal water changes the trace elements will be in the water already. Now if you have a heavy calcium load IE: fully stocked acro reef then you may need to supplement dose and even perhaps supplement a calcium reactor.

oz
06/05/2003, 12:47 PM
jcigars,

how is that Liquid Reactor different than the 2 part additive like B-Ionic or C-Balance ? Is it the same but in a single bottle ?
I use mostly Kalkwasser to maintain alk and calcium. Once a month or so I supplement it with C-Balance (2 part additive).

But I think the Carolline Stimulator is for totally different purpose.

jcigars
06/05/2003, 12:50 PM
oz I have no idea how to answer your questions. All I can tell you is I add it to my tank and I have great coraline growth.Pictures are in my gallery. My tank is exactly four months old today. I used that live rock to cycle my tank.

intekhab
06/05/2003, 12:54 PM
In my 200, coral growth is fair, coralline on the other hand very very slow, Macro Algae/Caulerpa on the other hand very very fast.

My calcium and PH pretty stable but my lighting is just too powerful (I guess).

4x250W + 2x 03 URI (7')

I only see coralline in the shadowy areas. It has been several months so I am very sure my coralline wont grow much like many other Tank as I would like it to be.:(

So far, I have not added any additives other than kalk (I am not even dosing kalk anymore either). But now tempted to try something ....but all sound like snake oil treatment to me.

oz
06/05/2003, 12:59 PM
Jcigars,

nice tank. I like the blue spot jawfish! I think I have pretty much the same level of carolline as yours. But I want more! hehe

cheers.

Malcolm_C
06/05/2003, 01:15 PM
" Coralline Stimulant "

high alk
high Calcium
moderate water quality
Low \ or high light depending on the type of coraline.

cheap solution
kalkwasser.

it will even help with your Phospates.

guytano
06/05/2003, 01:15 PM
What would you suggest then for one without a sump?
add a couple of teaspoons a night or some other method. I really can't think of any way to have a continuous drip with my system and where it is located.

nvillacci
06/05/2003, 01:22 PM
I could drip mine into my main tank if i wanted too.... My bucket's on top of my canopy hidden behind some houseplants:)

guytano
06/05/2003, 01:23 PM
Thats not a bad idea...I am building a canopy soon and I'll have to put some thing up there and can use it to hide the bucket!

oz
06/05/2003, 01:24 PM
guytano,

I don't have a sump neither but I use Kent's aquadose to drip Kalk 24/7.

jcigars
06/05/2003, 01:24 PM
oz that jawfish faced a terrible death. Carpet Anenome accident.He was my favorite fish. The carpet is no longer with me either gave it to the LFS(my wife made me do it).

Guytano I do not have a sump.

nvillacci
06/05/2003, 01:28 PM
It was my GFs idea to decorate the top of my tank.

I have 2 big plants on the sides. One small fern in the middle(long rectangle planter). Also have some candles and other stuff up there. All in all its pretty nice.

Jamesurq
06/05/2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by oz
"Retards hair algae" ?

Interesting!

The special olympics of tank care...

Mr_Quality
06/05/2003, 09:37 PM
I used Liquid Reactor briefly when it first came out and could never measure any rise in Ca no matter how much I added.

The article I posted before is very good and should be part of your learning, but wasn't the one I intended to post. I strongly recommend you read this one (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/chem.htm) by Randy Holmes-Farley, moderator of RC's Reef Chemistry forum. He's a Ph.D. chemist and knows his stuff. He's also a nice guy and you can correspond with him personally in the Reef Chemistry Forum. In this article he addresses the use of Liquid Reactor and other additives like it.

All this being said, based on the description of your tank inhabitants, your Ca demand is very low and probably adequate without much or even any supplementation.