PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help!!!!!!!!!

mr9iron
04/04/2001, 12:19 AM
All you experienced techno guys and gals i need some help with my computer. First of all its an HP 533mghz 10gig hard drive and 64mb of memory. I recently installed a Voodoo3 graphics card. My problem is that when i go to the start icon to shut down my computer it goes through the whole routine of shutting down but it dosent turn itself off. Also when i put it in sleep mode i cant get it to start-up again. I dont remember if it started doing this before or after i installed the graphics card or not. I have microsoft system works 2000 as my maintenance program, plus other features such as an antivirus, disk defrag and many other features were included in this program. When i run the windoctor it tells me that i have an activex problem. So i opt for the computer to fix it and it still does the same thing. Im at a loss and im not the most computer literate person. Help me please.

WowAFish
04/04/2001, 01:29 AM
If you are using Windows 98 Second edition there is a patch that fixes this at http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/wurecommended/s_wufeatured/win98se/
Good luck

JB NY
04/04/2001, 05:28 AM
lots of times it is a driver issue causing your PC not to shut down. I would start by going to the MS update site and download the latest recommended patches for your OS, then go to voodoo's site and install the latest drivers for your board.

-JB

Q-ball
04/04/2001, 08:36 AM
Hiyas...both these problems are known bugs with Win98. WowaFish, didn't realize they had a fix for the shutdown problem, thanks for the link. Very cool. As for the sleep thing, I fixed that by turning off all the power management items, I simply don't put my computer to sleep as it usually turns into a coma:D I had problems with it putting the computer to sleep in the middle of a Quake2 game several times & just got tired of it. There may be a fix to that bug, but if you aren't using your computer, just turn off the monitor & you get almost the same amount of power savings. HTH

Q!!!

mr9iron
04/07/2001, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the help, i will give the tips a shot and see if they work.:D:D