PDA

View Full Version : Alright, the tank is ready to go for SPS!!!!!!!

lebowski
06/03/2003, 02:53 PM
Just bought me self a penguin to run carbon since this will be a softie/lps/sps tank.

I have 360w of MH+pc combo over my 29, and an 8 month old tank. I skim, and drip kalk.

Now, I'm just worried about the current. I have 2 rio 400's and a penguin 550. I have the 2 rios at the sides blowing at eachother but not directly. The penguin is in the middle blowing towards the middle into the crossfire between the two rios.

How strong of a current really is needed for sps. I mean, I don't have a curremt strong enough to be blowing things away, but a nice current that my hammer and colt seemd to be swaying much, I'm testing by examining my softies. I'm stuck here, I don't want my SPS to die when I get it. I can see my LPS expelling their slime and the current takes it off well. Is this good enough?

Thanks! I will have updated pictures of the tank as soon as I get some SPS to show off. And when my friend can take the pics for me. Still need a digi.:(

:D

Mr_Quality
06/03/2003, 02:56 PM
Sounds like you are ready to rock and roll! Have you measured your Ca or Alk?

Have fun,
Mike

electric130
06/03/2003, 03:01 PM
do you have the XM 20K up and running? how's the color? have you compared it to a radium? i'm curious how the color is.

wayno
06/03/2003, 03:09 PM
It sounds like you've got the same type of water movement set-up as I have, albeit my powerheads are timed by a wave machine to give a more random, chaotic current. I've been keeping Montipora for a few months now with success. I would recommend these as good first SPS corals. I would also suggest siting the first SPS corals with a view to where in the tank you want to put later, more particular corals.

Hope I haven't stated the obvious.

Wayne

lebowski
06/03/2003, 06:08 PM
I'm getting the XM this week I ordered it, I'll update you on how it runs on my m58 probe start ballast ( the ballast it's meant to be ran on)

rleechb
06/03/2003, 06:15 PM
hey lebowski, i'm going to go mh soon too. How's the noise coming from your ballast, and what kind of ballast is it? I'm deciding between an electronic or magnetic system. My main concern is the noise from the ballast, I don't want something too loud.

lebowski
06/03/2003, 06:19 PM
I've only fired the ballast a few times, the bulb is still not here but as for noise it's relatively quiet. I have the hamilton assembled ballast.

I have a prizm and that runs really loud, and my HOB filter with my huge fans I have for the canopy are just really loud. Although personally I can't live without noise. I fall asleep better with noise. When it's quiet it's just too.........dead. I love noise.

Wierdo eh?

I'll get my bulb running this week when I get it and I'll update you on it.

rleechb
06/03/2003, 06:23 PM
sweetness. I'll drop you an email later this week. good luck w/ the acros and montis or whatever you end up getting.

lebowski
06/03/2003, 06:29 PM
Hehe.

THanks man.