PDA

View Full Version : How to make pump quieter...

dave8274
06/03/2003, 11:24 AM
Is there something I can put under my Mag-Drive pump at the bottom of the sump to make it a little quieter and dampen the vibration?

The only thing I could think of was a sponge, but somehow I doubt that a sponge is safe for a tank. Any ideas?

Fizz71
06/03/2003, 11:40 AM
Mouse pads are pretty popular. I actually have 1" foam under my really loud pump...I bought the foam from one of those "ollies" discount type store. I've only had the foam up for a month or so..I don't know how long that will last.

I also have both pumps mounted to a piece of wood too. So the pump is on wood and the wood is on foam or a mouse pad.

---Fizz

Edit...
Sorry...I just "re-read" your post..you're talking about a submerged pump aren't you?! Sorry. Did you try rubbe blocks? You could also probably put mouse pads under the whole sump...just guessing..I only have externals.

newkie
06/03/2003, 11:57 AM
I think you had a pretty good idea with using foam or some other fish-safe material to absorb vibrations against the acrylic. I'm sure you could find some suitable items from your LFS. Be inventive! Good luck

Fizz71
06/05/2003, 07:48 AM
This isn't my idea, so rather than sound like it is, I'll post a link..check it out...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1402332#post1402332

He used some sort of zip tie combination, but I'm not sure what, you can ask him..

--Fizz

gcvt
06/05/2003, 08:24 AM
Did you buy your Mag used? My Mag12 came with a mouse-pad style pad to stick on the bottom.

I was having issues with the Sedra pump on my skimmer making too much noise too and I bought a sheet of filter floss, folded it up, and put it underneath the pump...it made a big difference.

nicodeemus
06/05/2003, 09:32 AM
I have a Fluval 404 that is a bit noisy. The sound seems to come from the top of the pump (motor?). It's almost a clicking sound. I pulled it apart the other day and noticed the impeller cover had a hairline crack, so I replaced it. This didn't help the sound. Any ideas?

jiperalta
06/05/2003, 09:37 AM
For F404, try,

- tilting whenever restarting to get rid of trapped air

- chaning impeller

- changing o-ring

In that order. I use one on a 15g FO and typically the first works until 2 or 3 goes.

nicodeemus
06/05/2003, 09:40 AM
I tried tilting it and still no luck. I'm going to the LFS to get a new impeller today and give it a try. Thanx

Saltlick
06/05/2003, 10:37 AM
I have the same problem with my mag 7 in my sump. I've been looking at foam to put underneath the pump but I'm worried that if I just bought any type of foam(can't find foam at the LFS) that it would leach something bad into my tank.

Dave how is your mag pump plummed? I have pvc running from the pump to a ballvalve then pvc running out of the back of the stand with flexi hose running into the tank. I was wondering if the use of hard pvc that's connected to the pump accentuates the vibrating noise? Maybe I should soft plump my entire return line. I really need to do something about the noise because the tank is in the living room.

bachtor
06/05/2003, 12:40 PM
for the mags, most folks (including myself) use mousepads. If the pad has a hard plastic covering, then tear that off.

coolcat310
06/05/2003, 01:04 PM
bachtor,

I was just wondering how big of a tank was the one that got stolen?

coolcat310