PDA

View Full Version : Heniochus Bannerfish in reef? What else same size?

phdezra
06/03/2003, 08:04 AM
I would like to add a Heniochus Bannerfish to my 135 FOwLR, but the problem is that my "FOwLR" is slowly becoming Reef-like.

Inhabitants are 4 Starcki Damsels and 2 True Perc Clowns. Also a Pumping Xenia that is doing really well and a small Anthelia. SO... if I add the Heniochus, would that be the end of my Xenia? (My guess is yes.) It would also limit me from getting a few nice corals down the road I beleive. (Soft corals only. I have no plans to get Hard or SPS corals.)

SO... can I get a Heniochus and yet still have some corals? If the answer is definitely no, I'll have to stick to a nice Tang (I'm thinking Purple or Chevron or perhaps PBT; no way will I get a Sohal or Naso.)'

Any input?

WWiley
06/03/2003, 08:19 AM
My Heniochus does not bother invert's at all. Oh and he loves banana. WW

phdezra
06/03/2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by WWiley
My Heniochus does not bother invert's at all. Oh and he loves banana. WW

Which species of Heniochus? Does he pick on corals at all?1?

Chooch1
06/03/2003, 12:35 PM
Make sure the Heniochus you purchase is Heniochus diphreutes which is known as the schooling bannerfish. This fish is reputed to be reef safe because it is a planktivore. The other bannerfish, H. acuminatus, is not reef safe and will more than likely bother corals. They are very similar in appearance and you will need a good identification guide to distinguish them. I believe Scott Michael's 500 Marine Fish book has a description to assist you in distinguishing them. I have heard that H. diphreutes may still bother corals but is certainly less likely to than H. acuminatus. Best of luck.

Fliger
06/03/2003, 12:46 PM
Here is a good thread from another site. I am also getting one (or a few) for a reef tank.

Best of luck.

http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=19808&Forum=All_Forums&Words=24&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=19517&Search=true#Post19808

David

teevee
06/03/2003, 01:19 PM
i don't know if heniochus are a good choice for a 135, as they are a schooling fish, and are best kept in odd groups of three or more individuals. they get quite large, up to 8" in length.