PDA

View Full Version : Sea Bunnies

LarryBee
06/02/2003, 01:06 AM
Anyone using sea bunnies from IPSF. If yes, How do you like them?

wizardgus®
06/03/2003, 12:50 AM
IIRC that's what they are calling Stomatellas. I didn't get them from them, but I do have some in my tank. I think they are a nice addition to the clean-up crew and have the added bonus of spawning frequently...coral food!

arcab4
06/03/2003, 01:46 AM
whoa. so sea bunnies are stomatellas? the snails w/o the shell type? interesting..learned something new today. :)

gossimer2
06/03/2003, 10:26 AM
Where else besides ipsf can you get sea bunnies ???
right know they are only shipping them to calif.

gossimer2
06/03/2003, 10:42 AM
my computer skills are bad sorry for the wrong attachment

Cyberchef
06/03/2003, 10:57 AM
Inland Aquatics also carries them.

http://www.inlandaquatics.com/

I have them, I originallly bought them from Inland Aquatics. I like them, they are great algae eaters and they do spawn frequently adding more zooplankton tothe system... :) A lot of the babies will survive also.

tag007
06/03/2003, 11:06 AM
Give me a month and I should have some. Purchased some rock from inland not to long ago, had two, now I have about 50 rice sized stomatellas running through my tank...
But who knows, as I found my cleaner shrimp juggling and picking through about four of them. Must be pretty easy prey at that size.

gossimer2
06/03/2003, 11:42 AM
do sea bunnies have any predators??
should they be in the tank or refugium ????

mogurnda
06/03/2003, 11:55 AM
I thought that sea bunnies were small sea hares, Stylocheilus striatus, found around the world in warm water. At least according to this link (http://www.seaslugforum.net). Do a search for sea bunnies there. They specialize in cyanobacteria. Because they are so common, and eat something people have a problem with, I am surprised that no one else, like any of the florida collectors hasn't started selling them. One problem might be that even the most polluted tank might not generate enough cyano to keep them going.
Since I have never received them from IPSF (I tried many months ago, and am presumably still on the waiting list, but have since run out of cyano), I may be wrong about the ID. Stomatella sound like a better deal anyway.

wizardgus®
06/03/2003, 12:10 PM
Dave,
You are probably right. In all honesty I can't recall the source of my information re: IPSF "Sea Bunnies"

After your post I went to their site, they list them as Opisthobranch "Snail" grazers? Well, putting Opisthobranch into Google it all comes up as Mollusk Nudibranchs. So? That should rule out Stomatella varians. Wish suppliers would drop their cutesy descriptions of living organisms. :rolleyes:

Then reading further on the IPSF site you're suppose to set up a seperate tank for your Sea Bunnies and bail the resulting zooplankton to your tank.

I'd say get the Stomatellas from IA and forget about putting Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck or Elmer Fudd in your tank.:rolleye1:

JMHO