PDA

View Full Version : Living Sea (Stoneham)

Keith Sheridan
05/29/2003, 06:46 PM
I know there was already a couple threads posted on this subject, but I just went there for the first time tonight. I gotta say the store seems to be off to a nice start. There was a good variety of fish, inverts and corals. Their corals didn't look great, but not too bad either. The store itself was well setup and extremely clean. I know it has just opened up, but I am sure it could have been pretty nasty by now if they didn't keep up with it. I guess my biggest problem was that the only prices in the store were on the drygoods and corals, not on the fish or inverts. All in all a pleasent experience, I suggest you check it out.

Tobyt
05/29/2003, 06:51 PM
FYI, Sat., I plan to go to the Living Sea and shoot some photos if they'll let me.

Keith Sheridan
05/29/2003, 06:57 PM
Don't be stupid, they should pay you to take some photos. Tell them you will send them copies via jpg fomat and allow them to use them if they are willing to front a small amount for them. They could use them in setting up a website if they haven't already.
Of course I am not trying to reap money from the store, but it would be advantageous to them to have high quality shots for promotions.

Tobyt
05/29/2003, 07:02 PM
I'm sure they will allow it. :)

Purely a formality. Always courteous (as well as prudent) to get permission in these sort of situations.

People can sue you for posting their photos or their property on the web otherwise.

tstone
05/29/2003, 07:19 PM
Toby
You should go to Mikes this Sat for the grand opening to take some shots. He will most likely have some great stuff for the opening.

Tobyt
05/29/2003, 07:23 PM
Already in my plans. ;)

JD46
05/30/2003, 06:24 AM
I stopped by there last week. I did think the store looked nice.

I was, however, disappointed to see them carrying flame scallops, shark eggs, a clown tang, and an orange spotted filefish.

Keith Sheridan
05/30/2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by JD46
I stopped by there last week. I did think the store looked nice.

I was, however, disappointed to see them carrying flame scallops, shark eggs, a clown tang, and an orange spotted filefish.
True they had all those things, except for the filefish. I understand the problem with the shark egg and the scallop, but the other two, why not carry them. I mean the clown surgeon is not too big to sell, and selling the filefish is much like selling dragonets.

JD46
05/30/2003, 08:52 AM
My understanding on both fish is as follows:

Clown tangs have a very poor survival rate in aquariums. As far as I know, they are one of the worst rates of the tangs. But, in the right aquarium (200+ gallons) they can be kept.

The orange spotted file, which was there as of last Thursday, has a diet that consists strictly of Acropora.

Per Bob Fenner

"The most commonly offered member of the family... and rarely alive for more than a week in captivity. In the wild almost only eats Acropora polyps."

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/filefish.htm

karl wagner
05/30/2003, 10:02 AM
I need something to eat all this acropora!

I'm surprised nobody commented on the NO fluorescent lighting.

or the wet/dry filters.

I went Sunday and got some snails and peppermints. I passed on the shark egg, but I could see why they sell them.

Brimarbrio brian and I discussed this and I was telling him of the market (in NY at least) for 2 foot length sharks. I grew one out to that length and got 250 dollars for it. I had it in a 125 growout tank for a year, and parted with it. The guy that bought it had like a 2000 or something. (DR NO?)

It wasn't like I was attaching Freakin laser beams to its head or anything.

Pyrojon
05/30/2003, 02:37 PM
Normal Output lighting and WetDry filters are totally up to par for fish only systems, what would YOU use on a system with no live rock? Fish don't require any special type of lighting and WetDry filters are as good as any other man made filter in the world.

I can't comment on the coral tank lighting as I don't recall what they were lit with, but I don't recall seeing any WetDry for those, only a large tub of live rock below.

On a personal note, Karl you really need to stop bad mouthing stores as you only seem to make your self and the Boston Reefers Society look foolish.

Keith Sheridan
05/30/2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Pyrojon

On a personal note, Karl you really need to stop bad mouthing stores as you only seem to make your self and the Boston Reefers Society look foolish.
Maybe I missed something, but Karl's comments were not really bad mouthing the store. Maybe you're talking about another thread.

I actually didn't notice the lighting on the corals, but the fish only systems were lit fine and had adequete filtration in my opinion.

As for the two fish in question. I have read that the filefish may accept other foods, but it's diet is largely acropora. And the clown surgeon, I don't see anything wrong with selling him provided they are honest about the size and hardiness.

karl wagner
05/30/2003, 02:59 PM
Pyro: no bad mouthing here...never.... maybe you read into it wrong ?

I just reread my post even,
and don't know where you're coming from.

I posted that I went there AND bought stuff...
if that's bad, I don't know anything.

If I thought the place was bad I wouldn't have bought anything.

Additionally, I was defending their selling shark eggs, as I found it to be pretty "lucrative?" in the past.

hugs and kisses, kdw

Pyrojon
05/30/2003, 03:07 PM
I'm surprised nobody commented on the NO fluorescent lighting.
or the wet/dry filters.

I appologize if I was out of line.

I read this as sarcasm and as a dig on the lighting and filtration used in the stores. These two things are well known as Taboo in the reef community and a comment like this could easily be missunderstood. I may have been a bit on edge as comments like this (specificly from Karl) have hurt others in the past.

Hugs and Kisses right back at ya big guy!
:)

Jon

Tobyt
05/30/2003, 03:09 PM
I'd buy a shark if it came with a frickin' laser on its head.

denvig
05/30/2003, 09:30 PM
The lighting on the corals are Corallife PC strips