PDA

View Full Version : Oh no a 7 day Trip!

dYno
04/02/2001, 12:30 AM
Hey guys well guess what I get to go on a 7-day trip with my family to Seattle, Washington and Canada! But I can't have anyone take care of my tank cause I don't know of anyone that will, and besides my dad strictly turns the house alarm on when we are out. I have a 38 gallon reef with some mushrooms, a maroon clown, and a bi-colored goby. The lights are on timers so I don't have to worry about that and I can get an automatic feeder for the fish, since they eat flake. What I'm worried about is Calcium and Alk (kh). At the moment I ad 10 ml of b-ionic every morning to the tank. If I don't do this for 7 days what will happen? Will my corals die? What if I did a nice 5 gallon water change and over dosed a little bit before I went on the trip? Would the tank be alright? And my third option was to buy a Kalkwasser dripper and drip kalkwasser for 7 days. I've wanted to start with kalkwasser anyway. But I heard it can only be dripped at night? I know the kalkwasser maintains Calcium and Ph levels but what about Alk (Kh)? Is there another substance that needs to be added to maintain alk (KH) up with the calcium? If you guys decide kalkwasser is the right idea in my situation what brand name kalkwasser is good or best? Please help! Thanks

MtnDewMan
04/02/2001, 12:41 AM
Switch your dosing to night time. Put the exact amount of each part into separate ziplock bags. Date each bag and mark as part 1 and part 2. Have someone come over and only dispense the part 1 for the date they are there and then part 2 for the day they are there. No other dates should be dispensed. This way you can make it fool proof. Even if it is every other day, at least it is better than no days or overdosing in my opinion.

Welcome to the Seattle Area :)