PDA

View Full Version : HELP! PLEASE! my seahorse is going to die

merzz3
05/28/2003, 06:04 AM
I came home from work this morning and my black seahorse was stuck to the suction filter on my water pump. It sucked a piece of her insides out. How do I treat her before she dies?

skipm
05/28/2003, 06:17 AM
I am not sure if there is alot that you can do but this is what I would try. Get her into a hospital tank and treat her with antibiotics to prevent infection, you may also want to apply some topical cream (i.e. Neosporin) to the wound. After the vets office opens I would give them a call to see if they can offer any advice or treatments. With a little luch the protruding parts will go back in on their own but if not you may want to try and gently reinserting them with a q-tip, I would give the medications a chance to start first though because if you were to introduce any bacteria internally it may start up an infection. Hopefully someone who is more qualified than I will give you a defiative answer as to what needs to be done.
I would also fix the intakes on all of the filters in my tanks so that accidents like this cannot happen again, a simple sponge over the intake on the filter would most likely have prevented this injury. I wish you and your horsie the best of luck on making a full recovery, Skip

merzz3
05/28/2003, 06:22 AM
How do I set up a hospital tank? I have a 1 gal betta tank with a heater and air tube, If that helps. I am in a Panic, I want her to live.

MarinaP
05/28/2003, 10:12 AM
Evict your betta. Fill 1G tank with the water from your main system. Adjust heater settings in the 1G to match the temp of the main system. Add Spectrogram (wide spectrum antibiotic) from Aquatronics to the water, mix well. Add some hitching post. Transfer the horse and hope for the better. Change about 1/2G of water daily. Collect some water now, add salt and aerate it overnight. Adjust pH and temp before adding water to the tank.

XxAngelzDustxX
05/28/2003, 01:09 PM
Sorry I can't help but I wanted to wish you luck, sorry for what happened, I hope the little guy makes it :(

SeaNemesis
05/28/2003, 04:41 PM
How is your gal doing? It is hard to tell from the pic, but it looks as though her "egg tube" is out. Does she have good eye movement, is she eating and swimming about?

merzz3
05/29/2003, 07:15 AM
This morning I came home from work and again another seahorse was stuck to the bottom of filter to water pump.

I did investigate the pump to see if it was working properly. as it turns out that one had higher pressure than the other one. I probly bumped the valve when I was cleaning the glass the other day.

To prevent this from happening again I went to walmart and purchased some carbon filters and cut the blue foam off, washed them real good and wrapped the filter on the pump with it and held it with rubberbands.

MarinaP Great advice Thank You she is holding her own for now. she does have good eye movement, she is not interested in eating at all, but she is not swimming to much only when shrimp get on the wound. I did put neosporin on wound to help it heal and it has pain reliever in it. :rollface:

I did call my vet who happens to have a reef tank of his own, and he said he would do some research and call me later this morning.

I have her in a 1gal tank, should I purchase a 10gal for her?

merzz3
05/30/2003, 06:40 AM
This is a very very sad day in my house. My seahorse has died.

I did see the vet yesterday and got some meth blue to add to her water. I also got iodine tincture to put directly on the wound. The vet also gave me enrofloxacin to give her in a couple days for infection. The vet was extremely helpful and gave me everything for free.

When I went to work last night she seemed to be doing much better in the sence that she was a little active and had pretty good eye movement. I thought for sure she would make it.
I am heartbroken. she is my first loss in a year.

I didn't realize how attached you get to these little critters.

Her name was Ebony and she will be missed.

SeaNemesis
05/30/2003, 07:42 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss and yes you do get attached to them. It is very heart breaking.

skipm
06/02/2003, 05:47 AM
I too feel your greif, I thought for sure that she was going to pull through from you follow-up posts. I wish you and the rest of your horses well. Skip