PDA

View Full Version : Please adopt my 90 reef: good home needed!

rwagner
05/27/2003, 08:24 PM
Please somebody take over my reef, I'm not looking for money, my only requirement is a 'good home'.. if this can help somebody who's getting started in the hobby, so much the better.

But what's important is that these are my beloved pets, down to the worms. They're not chattel --- so I don't want to see them later on eBay!

Here's a rough sketch... more details on request. I've put too much money into this system to even think about it!

It's a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump, decent wooden stand and hood, an average 4" sand bed, lots of rock (tonga shelf mostly) and an uncontrollable algae problem, hair plus some other variety with creepy runners and tiny feathers. Got to warn ya, this isn't (never was) the Reef Central Tank-O-The-Month.

I've gone into lengthy back and forth online conversations with this one. Dr. ron tried to help, bob Goemans... but I spent most of my free time pulling algae and dealing with floods, never a dull moment to relax and watch! After my son was born four months ago, I gave up and procrastinated.

The catch is, this is a pick up deal only --- I won't have much time to help, you'll need a van, styrofoam containers, the works. The skimmer is kaputt, the pump burns out in no time and I got sick of replacing it... the usual problems relating to two-to-three year old equipment, and an overflow that can't keep up with the return pump --- and one of the two syphon tubes will at random get full of air, then the tank slowly overflows. This is a technical problem that you'll have to solve ;)

If you've got the time and patience and knowhow to deal with these problems, then this tank's for you!

lebowski
05/27/2003, 08:48 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!

Don't give up man! I've gone through so much crap like that!!!!

The whole point in this hobby is patience and work..... That's all I can say my friend.

McSierra
05/27/2003, 08:54 PM
where are you located?

I'm in NJ

outprowllin
05/27/2003, 09:00 PM
dont give it up you have the makings of a wonderful tank . why pass it off now? afew hours spread out over the week is all you need to maintain it. the rest of the time is spent admiring your great work ....hang in there........if you must give it up then give you location and maybe one of us can help find a good home..................jaime

derrikd
05/27/2003, 09:05 PM
yea ware are you located?? if in chi-town area ill help you!!

RandomChaos
05/27/2003, 09:09 PM
All these new posts and no

http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif
To Reef Central

wylie713
05/27/2003, 09:13 PM
if you really wanna give it up ill gladly take it ALL from you, im right in whitestone queens, i already sent you PM

Yanni
05/27/2003, 09:25 PM
step back and chill man....why toss a tank away thats already half started. Give it some time and more info. and im sure you can get it rollin....ive got a very drunken brother who can barely show up to work and skips town for days at a time and still maintains a nice set-up(did i say brother , i meant me)

Alberio
05/27/2003, 09:37 PM
Free tank o' skank!

Good move passin' it on to someone else and trying to find a good home for the pets.

mjd

O'Man
05/27/2003, 09:45 PM
I feel for you. . . and have been there. . . many times. Please feel free to email me at the address below. If you wish, include details of your setup, and I will be glad to discuss any ideas I may have to help. . . though I cannot promise an answer, I have been through many of the different "reefkeeping nightmares" that are available. If you wish include a phone number, and I will call you. Sometimes the answers are easier than we think.

If you really want to give-up, I am located in central NJ. I currently have a 90, a 38 and a 20 and could happily deal with doing some major tank combining, which is in the planning stage anyway, but I would rather see if I could help.

Having a new baby will easily keep you away from dealing with the tank . . . I have been through that twice. Thing is, after time, you will enjoy showing the child the tank . . . even if it is less than perfect. The little ones don't know or care. Let me know how your filtration system is setup. It should not be impossible to stop the floods.
Brian

pan_tsu?
05/27/2003, 10:24 PM
LOL! :lol: "Free tank o' skank!"

I also have a newer baby (9 months), but actually moved to a bigger tank while he was 4 months old. It's been crazy around here and I've found the time to maintain my tank....and I'll tell you what, it is one of my son's favorite things to look at. He is amazed by the bright fish and all of the things to look at. I'm glad to have it because it will be a great learning tool for him and he'll learn to appreciate this type of thing.

If you're fed up, tear it down, sell the fish, wash the sand...and start fresh. Hell, make it a freshwater, it's worth having with a little one.

Alberio
05/28/2003, 07:30 AM
I noticed the Red Wing logo and the Colorado location.

That's a bit unusual (but good).

mjd

skattabrain
05/28/2003, 07:38 AM
yeah man, i gave it up when my son was months old, i was kinda forced as i couldn't afford to buy groceries one week.... and then the anemone died (powerhead style) and the system needed an emergency water change... and guess what... no salt!

salt... groceries... salt... groceries

groceries won and i gave it all away.

times are better now and i wish i still had my hardware... i have to completely start over again.

give the fish to the LFS, clean up the hardware and save it for a later date.

oz
05/28/2003, 07:59 AM
I'll take the problem off your hands. hehe
Have van, will pickup.

I also have a baby boy born 6 months ago (my second one) so I know how it is. I take care of the tank after everyone goes to sleep.

I don't think you'll have shortage of people who will gladly take the tank. By now you should be getting PMs up the yin yang.

Hey, choose me. I have Baby-R-US gift certificates for you and the baby. I'll make a contribution towards the kids college fund.
Flowers for mom. And for dad, I'll throw in a pair of tickets to the Matrix Reloaded at a theatre near you. How about it ?

SeanT
05/28/2003, 09:21 AM
His sig line says NYC.

oz
05/28/2003, 09:27 AM
I can be there in a little over 2 hours! hehe

Looper121
05/28/2003, 09:40 AM
I am in Philly, and can be ther quicker than D.C. And we are moving into our new house this weekend!! What a great opportunity...;)

oz
05/28/2003, 11:27 AM
I'll babysit your kid while you take wife to see The Matrix Reloaded. I have experience, I have 2 kids, a 3 year old and a 6 month old. What kind of desert, does your wife like ? I can bring Mango Mousse, my wife makes the best Mango Mousse!
And if you ever want to visit Washington, D.C., you can stay at my home!

:D

wylie713
05/28/2003, 06:46 PM
has anyone heard from rwagner either via PM or email or anything? i PMed him, emailed him and nothing for the last 2 days. just curious if anyone else knows whats going on here.

rwagner
05/28/2003, 10:04 PM
...and trying for the fifth time to put the little guy to bed for the night. i'll have to respond from work tomorrow...

Cheers
rob

wylie713
05/28/2003, 10:19 PM
ohhh ok, no prob :) hope the litle guy gets some rest, and you too! talk to ya tomorrow!

O'Man
05/28/2003, 10:27 PM
Here's a way to deal with it. If your overflow is a non-drilled type.

Ditch the hang on the back overflow. Get an AMT filter. They are simple and they do work. Consider it extreme mechanical filtration. They do come with skimmers. Their skimmers are real basic counter current types, but they are designed to suppliment the rest of the filter. Load the AMT with resins, especially phosguard & a poly filter. Order a pack of "janitors" from GARF, take out your live rock and scrub it & deal with the loses of critters... frag what you can to save as much as possible. Put what is left back. You will be shocked as to how much this type of filter can clean up your tank. . . enjoy it with the little one.

oz
05/29/2003, 07:37 AM
Rob,

I sent you PM on tank offer.
Regarding the little one.
Seems like my 6 month old is going through the same thing too.

Babies going through the sometimes painful teething process can be plagued by crankiness and loss of appetite, as well as bouts of wailing and gum gnashing. It ain't easy being a baby. He's making huge strides in his cognitive and physical development.
Especially if his choppers are coming in. But I think usually its between 6 and 10 months. Its possible at about 4 months though.

As they learn new skills such as sitting, crawling, and rolling over, babies get excited and can find it hard to take a break from practicing long enough to get a good night's rest.

What you can do about it:
If your baby is waking up frequently at night or having trouble falling asleep but doesn't seem to be in pain, stick to your regular sleep routine as closely as possible. If you change the rules, even for a short time, he'll have trouble getting back on track. But if his gums are hurting, you can help soothe them by massaging them gently with one finger or giving her something cold to chew on, such as a plump, frozen bagel, a gel-filled teething ring, or a chilled wet washcloth. If you use a plastic teething ring, be sure to remove it from the freezer before it becomes rock hard or it may bruise already tender gums.

It may seem hard for you and mom having to take care of the baby now, getting up at nights, etc. but that's part of the fun. Just try to enjoy it. Years from now you'll wish you'll look back and think happy moments.

cheers,

pmui
06/02/2003, 04:03 PM
I'm in NYC. I'll take the tank is you want to get rid of it locally.

Peter

pop1tart
06/02/2003, 04:51 PM
While I know many would love to have your tank, I would much rather you find a way to continue to enjoy this excellent hobby.

va_reefman
06/02/2003, 05:54 PM
rwagner,

We are going through the same thing right now. Get some 'Baby oral gel' from CVS for your baby. I tried it last night and 5mins later my girl was sleeping like a beauty. She was crying non-stop for almost 2 hours before that. The gel comes in two tubes. One for the day time and a heavier dose tube for night time relief.

HTH,
John

BobCReef
06/02/2003, 06:05 PM
i know where he's coming from. i have raised 4 kids myself. when the 2nd came along and we moved to another house i had to give up my 150 for awhile. if at all possible keep the tank. take from someone who's been there. you will regret getting rid of it

bugshop
06/02/2003, 07:54 PM
Been there done that and I got the stained t-shirt to prove it!!
I also have children 5 to be exact and they all love my ratty old tank,
especially my 18m old, he loves it when the fish come up to the glass to play
with him. and the older kids are constantly bring their friends over to see
our little piece of the ocean.
What it comes down to is
You need to ask yourself a few questions.
Why did you get this tank in the first place?
How does it make you feel when you see a cool tank?
does it bother you to see your tank like this? By the way it isn't that bad!
If it does then listen to the ones that are offering help, keep the tank and get it working
mechanically, them the rest will come with time and patience.
Little can compare to the way you will feel when you win this battle
and you will if you want to.

wylie713
06/02/2003, 08:06 PM
i dont think rwagner is listening :rolleye1: hasnt responded to anything in like a week.....

nk57
06/02/2003, 08:07 PM
Sent you a PM

Nancy