PDA

View Full Version : Float Switch in the Main Tank?

Fizz71
05/27/2003, 01:42 PM
I don't have a sump on my setup, nor will I ever (nothing personal, just don't have room for everything). I'm trying to set-up an auto top-off system and I've been through the archives looking for people with float switches in their main tank. I've read about alot of problems, but I'm wondering if anybody out there has had good success and if so, what did you do?

My only alternative is to do what I used to do...kick of a pump for a certain amount of time a day and kick off the pump manually once in a while since 100% accurracy is nearly impossible.

Any suggestions?

--Fizz

NorthCoast
05/27/2003, 01:57 PM
Actually, having a float switch on the sump connected to the display tank is just as dangerous in my opinion. There is always a chance to overflow and add too much freshwater.

Therefore, the setup that I use on my sump is this:
1) Low water float switch for automatic top-off
2) High water float switch connected to a solenoid to shut off all freshwater in case the low water switch sticks on and the water continues to rise
3) Solenoid connected to a timer to restrict the duration and time of day that any freshwater can be made. (limit: twice a day for 30 min.)

In this type of setup all three would need to fail at the same time. #2 and #3 are actually designed to fail in the OFF position.

This may be something to consider... :)

Later,
NC

ventdiver
05/27/2003, 02:05 PM
I've been running a float switch in my main (and only) tank for the last year or so with no problems. I run it on a timer so it comes on once a day for 1 minute, it clicks on and off a few times during that minute as the turbulence bounces the float around a little, but I'm running a Maxi-jet as my DI pump and it has no problem with the occasional off/on behavior. Possible problems are when a snail finds its way onto the float and hangs there, keeps the float down and the pump pumping no matter what. The timer prevents that from ever being a serious problem.

Fizz71
05/28/2003, 07:35 AM
So both of you are using timers too. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. I've never done anything with solenoids and float switches so this should be interesting. I've seen some DIY stuff, so I'll have to see how brave I get.

Thanks for the help.

Anyone else?

--Fizz