PDA

View Full Version : Are Flame Angels jumpers?

ReefNewbie
03/30/2001, 11:04 PM
I just got a beautiful Flame Angel today and put it in my 75. Are they know to be jumpers? Just want to know if I need to put the glass back on it.

Thanks,
Dave

dougc
03/30/2001, 11:10 PM
I don't know of any angels that are jumpers. Most small angels are inveterate rock-huggers. Their first reaction to a possible threat is to duck into the rocks.

ReefNewbie
03/30/2001, 11:13 PM
This guy seems to be hovering up around the top 3 inches of water pacing around, that is why I was asking. Maybe he is just nervous about being in new surroundings.

Dave

gas4544
03/31/2001, 01:26 AM
Last year I lost a Cherub Angel that jumped out of my 75-gallon tank. I had been leaving the cover off my tank, and one day I found him on the floor behind the tank. He was a very active fish that swam like he was on speed or something. He was a very cool fish.

ReefNewbie
03/31/2001, 12:42 PM
^^

Doug
03/31/2001, 01:34 PM
Hi ReefNewbie,

I would think that any fish could be a jumper if scared.

Now with that being said I have kept a few different dwarf angels over the last few years and I have noticed that they will bolt into the rock work when scared like Dougc said.

HTH

Doug

johnny
04/02/2001, 09:16 AM
I recently got a flame angel and while its first mode of defense is to duck into the rocks, it will also jump if it has to. I found this out while doing a freshwater dip on him... luckily it was in a trash can and the water was only half way up.. but I swear he probably jumped a good foot!

Also, if yours is staying around the top 3" make sure there is enough airation in the tank and not any other fish picking on him.

Good luck.

Nick

Doh
04/03/2001, 06:35 AM
agree with the above, if a fish is scaried enough it'll jump for sure. i've got a flame with an open top tank, theres about 1 1/2 inch rim above the water level, then its say hello to the carpet:D i've never had a problem...

ReefNewbie
04/03/2001, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Dave