PDA

View Full Version : Help with trickle filter to sump conversion

tahaney
05/21/2003, 04:41 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought a used 100 Gallon acrylic tank. It has a "built-in" trickle filter on the back -- width/heighth of the tank and 4" wide. It is attached to the tank, with overflow on the left and return on the right. I want to convert it to a sump/Berlin style, so here is what I've done so far:

It came with a heater, protein skimmer, bio balls, and charcoal in bags. I have cleaned it up, added 75 pounds of live sand (approx. 3"), 100 pounds of live rock, and a few hermit crabs so far. I removed the charcoal and bio balls and replaced the pre-filter material. My test readings are excellent after 2 weeks -- 75 degrees, 1.024 specific gravity, no ammonia or nitrites and <10 nitrates (My nitrates were around 40 before removing the bio-balls!).

My questions:

1. Please look at the diagram and see if I have everything in the right places based on water flow. I feel pretty confident, but being a newbie, there's always doubt.

2. Does the pump for the venturi protein skimmer (in section A) need to push the same volume of water as the return-to-tank pump (in section F)

3. Micro-bubbles! Since removing the bioballs, the water gets bubbly from falling approx 12 inches from the drip plate to the water at the bottom (approx 5" deep) of "Section E". Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your excellent advice!
-- Todd

Kaos
05/21/2003, 06:30 PM
1.) Equipment placement looks fine.

2.) The pump for the skimmer should be whatever is the recomended flow for that skimmer.

3.) While the drip plate is good for O2, I would (if at all possible) try and get rid of it and create some sort of fuge. But if that is too much trouble, I would try and find some way to take some of the drop out. Like maybe installing some baffles (horizontally) set at an angle to let the water trickle down. Or anything that would slow the water down some. Without looking at the setup and doing some experimenting I can't give the best of answers.

Oh yea, and WELCOME TO THE BOARD!! :D