PDA

View Full Version : I guess now is the time!!!!!!!!!!!!

rza007
05/21/2003, 02:58 AM
I cant help it anymore... I just have to go SPS now. I have had a very successful 60g lps softie tank for a while now (2yr +) and I just feel its time for me to go SPS... Not full on dominant, but definately a mixed reef of all corals. I dont have a Ca reactor and want to know if it is a must??? I am also changing my tank size. I dont know if I should upgrade (80+g) and have lightly stocked tank, or downgrade to say a 50-60 cube tank and have it fully stocked. Advice will be appreciated from anyone who would know or has been in these shoes. all of my current livestock will be transfered into the new. Thanks

Python73
05/21/2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by rza007
1 - I cant help it anymore... I just have to go SPS now.
2 - definately
3 - a mixed reef of all corals.
4 - I dont have a Ca reactor and want to know if it is a must???
5 - if I should upgrade (80+g) and have lightly stocked tank, or downgrade to say a 50-60 cube tank and have it fully stocked.

1 - That's what most crack addicts said when they started... :)
2 - definitely isn't spelled with an "a"
3 - Not your best bet, be prepared for some chemical wars. Yes, everybody does it, I'm just saying you are better off not mixing.
4 - You NEED to keep your CA levels around 450. If you can do that without a CA reactor, save the money. But they are nice, and SPS chew up the CA. Really a matter of preference.
5 - The last thing you want for your SPS is a new tank. Best if it is up and stable for as long as possible. That being said, bigger is better. No matter how big it is, an SPS tank will get crowded, you just get more time with a bigger tank.

HTH.

S !

Nicholas Ang
05/21/2003, 04:12 AM
heard stories of SPS chewing up Ca...can i know roughly how much it can drink per on a weekly basis?thx

Python73
05/21/2003, 04:24 AM
Well... that's a tough one. Really depends on coral density, light, growth, etc etc. Maybe some SPS / chem guru could be more specific.

S !

Nicholas Ang
05/22/2003, 02:14 AM
hmmm....ok thks