PDA

View Full Version : Something has killed my fish

Mary
03/29/2001, 09:05 AM
Started this reef tank in Nov. 2000. Everthing was going beautifully up until5 weeks ago, one of our corals just didn't look right, have water tested every wk all was fine lost our pygmie angel, noticed white or scaling of skin , no onne could help at the store lost 2 more fish had lowph 3rd week high ph 4th week lost cleaner shrimp and rest of fish. Have had no fish in tank for a week, water was tested everything is normal but yesterday while looking at tank with magnifier, noticed these very tiny white headed bug like creatures, I don't want to lose all our coral and rock we also started to have an algae plume right around the time the trouble started . Every time we go to the store we get several different theories, we need help.

Joez
03/29/2001, 09:15 AM
Hi Mary,

Welcome.

I have more questions than answers for you.

First thing that struck me was having an Angel in a new tank. Angels should generally be added to mature tanks. Also you mentioned "all our coral", sounds like too much livestock too soon in the tank's life. Common situation; we are so enamoured with the beauty that we tend to be overly-aggressive adding creatures. OK, so that's past and won't happen again.

Algae blooms are common in new tanks too. Probably best to ride out the storm and just keep good maintenance schedule going with water changes (RO/DI water), stable physical and chemical conditions, light feeding, no additions until things calm down.

Questions:

What tests are you having done? It might be better to buy some good test kits and do your own initially.

What other fish did/do you have?

Are you testing pH at the same times of the day? pH swings within a daily range are normal.

Are you using additives?

What is your water change routine?

Tiny, white headed bugs can be good things. What time of day and where are you seeing them?

What corals do you have? How about other invertebrates?

Skimming?

Sand bed?

You'll get some good advice on this board. Just try to take it easy and be patient with this process.

Mary
03/29/2001, 07:57 PM
Hi Joez, Thanks for replying. We of course have gone by what the store we deal with has told us is OK. We have a cpr backpak filter/ protien skimmer. 29 gal tank , 2 powerheads. We started the tank with live sand and RO water and have always used RO water for topping off and water changes. We have trumpet coral, mushrooms, frog spawn, wartercress algae, 3 fanworms and something that looks like pulsing xenia. We had a pygmie angel, psuedocromis, yellow tang, clown fish and 2 tiny red headed gobies. Also we had a cleaner shrimp and a couple other shrimp, 4or 5 hermit crabs and a couple of snails. Wow now that I write all this down it sure sounds like alot. We basically went in every week to the place we do business and asked what would be OK. We are obviously new to this and have relied totally on what they have told us to do. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mary

Mary
03/29/2001, 07:59 PM
Joez, we also use Ibionics 2 part series evry other day