PDA

View Full Version : Fun with a magnifying glass

billwinterholer
05/14/2003, 09:44 PM
I have a 75 gallon that I started the beginning of April. It only has a few pounds of LR but also a 3 1/2" to 4" bed of southdown with some livesand thrown on it.

I've two blue damsels in it as well as a hermit that came with the livesand and some astrea (SP?) snails that I'm using to clear off the algae.

Tonight, while sitting and enjoying the tank, I noticed a bunch of tiny white spots attached to the front glass of the tank. Looking close, I noticed that they were waving in the current. I thought they were hair algae as I have it growing in spots, but this was white.

I grabbed a small magnifying glass I use to inspect printed circuit cards and found that they are like tiny feather stuck to the glass via their stems. Can't take a picture as I've nothing capable (these are a tenth or so of a millimeter).

Searching around the tank with the magnifying glass, I also found two baby snails (about 1mm long) and hundreds of tiny bug-like critters (fractions of a mm). These had two short antennas on an oval like body with a scissor-like tail about as long, if not longer than their body.

I also have a blackish green algae that is beginning to cover the sand. Where one of these algae masses has met the front glass of the tank and begun to creep up the glass, I found a few dozen thin white worms wiggling. These were hardly seen without the magnifying glass.

Later, when my daughter and her family came to visit, I showed the critters to my grandson and son-in-law, Rich. Rich ended up spending almost a half hour just examining the tank with the magnifying glass. I think both he and I were as enthralled with the tiny critters as with the damsels, snails, etc.

I guess a magnifying glass is now a neccessary item next to the tank.

Bill

ladymagicka
05/14/2003, 09:56 PM
Hi there, I started my tank the beginning of April also, 75 Gallon w/only 8 pounds of live rock for now. No hermits or snails yet,, I was about to get them but have a red bacteria or algae spreading like wild fire... treating it with with Red Slime,, so far, no help.. so tempted to empty the thing and start over... but from what i read.. patience with your tank is most definately a virtue...

billwinterholer
05/14/2003, 10:08 PM
I've been playing with saltwater for some years, but consider myself a newbie because I really only was into fishonly with no live rock or sand or anything like that.

Still, I found that patience is the important thing of any hobby, whether you're into aquariums, woodworking, gardening or cross stitch (yes, I've done cross stitch).

You can empty the tank, and start over, but you'll only put yourself a month behind in your goal. It'll pass. That's one thing I like about this forum, there's a lot of people willing to jump in and help you out when you get frustrated.

Bill

ladymagicka
05/14/2003, 11:10 PM
I agree, I love this forum, I almost feel like i have all these instant buddies, because of the common goals/concerns/likes, etc. I can't wait to meet everyone,, have faces with screen names... Are you near me in CT?

tstone
05/15/2003, 05:13 AM
The algea you guys have is typical of new systems. Add more liverock, cured if possible and wait.
My opinion is to let it run its course with out the chemical slime remover stuff.

More rock will help you and let the system put itself in balance.

later

ladymagicka
05/15/2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks,, being new, i hear so many different views,, one guy said don't put anything in it until it's gone.. so the stuff doesn't spread more.... should I add Hermit crabs/snails at this point too?? What do you think? and Thanks again

tstone
05/15/2003, 02:59 PM
Add the rock and as long as your ammonia and nitrates/nitrites are good add the snails and a hermit or two.
If the cyno is on the sand bed, snails like Fighting conchs or queen conchs will help a lot. They will stir up the sand, keep it aerated.

Just watch for an ammonia spike when you add the rock. If you get ammonia let that subside before you add the snails and such. Try to get some sand bed critters like bristle worms pods and such.
Just watch the ammonia before you add the critters.

minh_han
05/15/2003, 03:23 PM
I would suggest blowing the red algae off the rocks and skimming heavily. You can also get several types of snails to eat the algae. A fighting conch might also work.

ladymagicka
05/15/2003, 04:47 PM
Yes that was my first thought but actually I heard to NOT blow, stir, or otherwise try to remove it, because it's an airborne one... so it would prob spread worse cause the particles are now free floating in the water..thanks for the input... I'll think i'll try more rock etc..first... and just wait and see a bit...

tstone
05/15/2003, 05:58 PM
You can and probably should suck it out with a syphon. If you blow it around it will spread quicker.

Minh may have meant for you to increase your circulation this will help also. Add a power head and direct it towards the affected area

ladymagicka
05/15/2003, 07:07 PM
i can see it now,, swallow swallow,... maybe i'll wait for EZ :mixed: but sounds like it's worth a shot... even if it spreads.. it can't actually spread much more than it already is.

billwinterholer
05/15/2003, 09:33 PM
I added some more live rock with the snails and I've been waiting to see how it affects the chemicals before I get more, but I'll have to look into the conchs. Thanks, Tstone.

Lady - I live in Groton, about an hour away from you. But my sister-in-law lives in West Haven with her new hubby.

Bill

ladymagicka
05/15/2003, 09:52 PM
i may be taking a job in Waterford... i'll know more later... I'm leaning away from it,,, but trying to fit it all in so to speak.....
Does your sis do fish too?

billwinterholer
05/15/2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ladymagicka
i may be taking a job in Waterford... i'll know more later... I'm leaning away from it,,, but trying to fit it all in so to speak.....
Does your sis do fish too?

I don't know about taking a job in Waterford unless it's a good wage. West Haven to New Haven and East Haven are bad enough at rush hour let alone now with the construction in Branford. I get stuck in it often - but I get paid for the time I'm in it.

My sister-in-law and hubby would love to do saltwater, but right now they can't justify the cost or the time. But they love to sit in front of mine and dream.

Bill

ladymagicka
05/15/2003, 10:15 PM
hmmm, yeah.. the rush hour traffic is a consideration.. though i can contol my sched a bit and miss it all,, thinking ideal for now... and dreams.. they're a good thing!! They'll have that tank one day.... once mine is actually worth looking at she's welcome to come dream here a bit.. it's closer...:rollface:

billwinterholer
05/28/2003, 09:30 PM
Found some more critters in my fuge tonight, including one lime-green critter. I mentioned it to my wife who took up the magnifying glass and examined it, proclaiming it as 'neat! It looks almost like a cockroach'.

With that, I stopped to think. I have a multitude of critters in both the main tank and the fuge that look like fleas, and now this critter that looks like a cockroach and she thinks it's neat.

But were she to find one - JUST ONE - on the bathroom wall......

But then, she wants a mandarin, and I've told her we need them for the mandarin...

Bill