PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms splitting

Apocalypse
05/14/2003, 11:33 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm a bit new to this hobby but I'am enjoying it very much so far despite the annoying algae blooms I've had. Having had a FOWLR before I new they would happen so I just give the proper maintenance. Anyway, my tank is 3 months old and I have some green hairy mushrooms and some zoos that I got before I upgraded my lighting. My mushrooms were doing fine under the poor light I had at the time but now that I have a lot more light they began to split.

What I don't know is how long does it take for them to complete this process. The first mushroom that did this was the bigger one and it took it 4 days to have a piece of it's foot to separate and around 10 days for the little mushroom to take shape completely. Now it's splitting again. Is that period of time normal for them to do this or should be shorter?

I've been adding the follwing supplements so far (underdosed, since I do not have a lot of bioload in there): iodine (before I began to add it, my cleaner shrimps would break their antennae during a molt), trace elements and liquid calcium (I'll start dripping kalk soon).

Thanks for your responses, :)
Dan

biomanjcs72
05/14/2003, 11:42 AM
Dose regular strength, and you may increase fission speed.

Or, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mushrooms will split at varying speeds depending on the water quality/amount of light, they are given.

Know this: If they are splitting, they are happy, so you are obviously doing something (several things probably) right.

P.S. I want frags, PM me when you get some... :D

NorthCoast
05/14/2003, 12:39 PM
Apocalypse

First,
[welcome]

Second, are the mushroom anemones splitting (fission) or is it pedal laceration (where the anemones leave behind pieces when moving)?

I have a few additional questions: What are the water parameters? What is your water change routine (schedule amount, etc.)?

I personally do NOT dose what can NOT (or is not) measured. For a new tank with low bioload I would think that water changes would supply anything needed for your inhabitants. :)

Later,
NC

Apocalypse
05/14/2003, 01:52 PM
Second, are the mushroom anemones splitting (fission) or is it pedal laceration (where the anemones leave behind pieces when moving)?

Actually, it would be pedal laceration.

I have a few additional questions: What are the water parameters? What is your water change routine (schedule amount, etc.)?

I personally do NOT dose what can NOT (or is not) measured. For a new tank with low bioload I would think that water changes would supply anything needed for your inhabitants. :)

My parameters are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ca 360
Alk 12
pH 8.4
SG 1.025
Temp 80-81

My WC schedule is 5% weekly. Tank is a 29 Gallon.

Thanks a lot for your responses,
Dan :thumbsup: