PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Moray

John Cory
05/13/2003, 01:21 AM
Hi, this is my first post at reefcentral.com. Just came from reefaquariumguide.com, which I couldn't get enough information from. I just want to know what is to be fed to a Zebra Moray? I have been feeding it small krill shrimp and a crawdad every so often. Well, the small krill are expensive and i'm tired of trying to put these little shrimp in his mouth because he's pretty much blind. Is there any big foods, besides krawdads, that I can throw in the tank and have him eat it? Instead of hand feeding him 15 krill shrimp. If there is where can I purchase some, my LFS biggest food is Krill, besides that it's crawdads. Thanks

Rock Anemone
05/13/2003, 01:27 AM
John Cory,
[welcome]

You chose a GREAT spot for information and friendly people!

As for feeding your eel, I'm not a big fan of feeding live foods like goldfish and other feeder fish due to dieseases etc so I probably won't recomend it. However, if he's eating frozen food, you may want to try bigger foods like shrimp and clams, also other meaty foods. When you say crawdads, are you feeding the whole shell? I would probably take the hard shells off of the food before feeding.

Also, remember that the Zebra gets pretty big, they can reach up to 3-4 feet!!!

Rock Anemone:D

John Cory
05/13/2003, 01:40 AM
Thanks, I did feed the Eel a live Krawdad once with the shell and everything (due to instructions from the owner to do so). I kinda thought disease may be a problem, especially for catching the food myself, like one person on RAG had said. Does anyone know where I can buy big shrimp? I can go to the supermarket but this makes me worry of disease to. I've heard scallops were good to, i'm looking for online retailers mainly because I can't find anything big at the LFS. The Eel is about 2 feet now, maybe a little bigger, so that is why I need the big food. It's hard feeding it little krill shrimp all the time and he never gets filled up, always hungry. I've also heard formula 1 cubes will work but the cubes cause to much waste when he is chomping down on them.

Paladin
05/13/2003, 10:02 AM
Hi John,
I don't have an answer for you, but instead curious about your eel. I also have a zebra that I got over a year ago. He's now over a foot. I usually feed him once a week--and just krill. I know what you mean about taking the time to feed him. Since he can't see it, he has to smell his way to the food. And since I have a lionfish in there also, I have to spend a little more time making sure the lion doesn't snag the food before the eel can get to it.
I'm just curious how often you feed your eel. And does he ever come out of the rock other than just to feed?
Thanks!

me_rob
05/25/2003, 12:32 PM
I just found this post so I am a little late but, My zebra which I have had for about 1 1/2 yrs I feed jumbo prawns and shrimp that I buy from albertsons and such. He eats it right of my hand so there is no problem with other fish eating it. The prawns and shrimp are rather expensive, $9.99-15.99 dependind!!! I have not sworrind to much about taking the shell off, nobody does it for them in the ocean ;) It does probably dirty the tank more but big deal!!! Have fun with your fish!

Me_Rob

Tremelle
05/31/2003, 02:10 PM
I have feed Zebra Morays shrimp right from the seafood section at Albertson's. The large shrimp normally cost around $7 a pound. I would buy 10 shrimp for about $1.50, and they would last me over a month. I kept them frozen and thawed them out with tank water. I would feed 1 whole shrimp with the shell removed twice a week.

I just bought another Zebra Moray today from Planet Pet. He is acclimating as I type.

me_rob
05/31/2003, 02:38 PM
WOW looking at my last post I need to learn to type!!! I feed mine right now about 1 maybe 2 shrimp a day. I think he is hungry!

John Cory
06/01/2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the help. I did end up going to albertsons and picking up some large prawns. Didn't even think of going to the store at first. :eek: My eel eats about 1 every other day and seems happy with that. :)