PDA

View Full Version : Any fellow musicians use tube amps?

musicsmaker
05/12/2003, 06:17 PM
I am looking into replacing the tubes in my amp, and have no idea what brand to go with. I have heard good things about Groove Tubes. Is it going to be a matter of quality or will it depend more on what kind of sound I'm looking for?

Wazzel
05/13/2003, 07:03 AM
I use groove tubes in my SWR bass preamp and like the sound. I have not tried any other brands so I can not give an actual comparison.

Gary Majchrzak
05/13/2003, 07:19 AM
What brand amp do you have? I used 'Groove Tubes' exclusively with my Mesa/Boogie Simul-Class Mk. IV.
'Groove Tubes' were hands down the most consistent and reliable tube brand I ever used. Overseas, they refer to 'tubes' as 'valves'.
I experimented with other tubes manufactured in other countries with varying results.
I had a 100 watt Marshall head that sounded absolutely unbelievable when juiced by some Hungarian no name tubes. This same fantastic sounding amp was very prone to start smelling like it was on fire! {literally!}

musicsmaker
05/13/2003, 08:57 AM
It's a Crate Blue Voodoo BV60. I got to looking around the Musicians Friend website, and low and behold there are about 10 or more different kinds of Groove Tubes. I would like to be able to get a specific sound out of my amp (lotsa highs and lows with minimal midrange), but to be honest it would probably sound better than it does now if I just screw some lightbulbs up in there. :rolleyes: I'm guessing I've had the amp for 8 years, and have never replaced the tubes. I feel so guilty.

G-money
05/13/2003, 09:13 AM
Tube is the only way to go!

I've used Groove and Sovtek over the years, and either I have a really crummy ear (doubt it ;)) or there is little to no difference. I mean, I'm no Eric Johnson claiming I can tell the difference between battery brands in my stomp boxes or anything, but hey...

Gary Majchrzak
05/13/2003, 10:26 AM
To my ears, there was a big difference in sound between tube brands, although Sovtek was not too bad. {Sylvania is terrible for guitar amps, IMO.} The Boogie Simulclass {guitar} amp allows you to switch btween 6L6 or EL34's. These different tubes also had very distinct tones. {Tubes amps sound better than transistor amps because when tubes clip, they produce even-order harmonics.}
The most IMPORTANT tube {by far!} in a guitar amp with a gain/pre amp stage is the PRE-AMP tube 12AX7/7025/etc which is the first gain stage in many amps . Definitely spend the money to get a quality tube in that socket!
New POWER tubes will definitely provide more "punch"- and you will hear highs and lows that old tubes do not produce. {Think how lively a new set of strings sound compared to a grungy old set!}
As far as midrange control, get some kind of EQ happening in your signal chain. Even the 'stomp box' EQ's can do wonders for creating awesome guitar tones- especially in the mid range.

musicsmaker
05/13/2003, 10:35 AM
I was just reading over the online owners manual for my amp. According to that, my amp has automatic biasing. It also says that I can switch the stock 6L6 tubes with EL34's. Funny thing is, my amp has 5881's. Maybe 5881's are the same as 6L6's?

Gary Majchrzak
05/13/2003, 12:23 PM
Yes, 5881's = 6L6's. I should mention that the Sylvania tubes that I tried were in a lousy sounding Marshall amp I purchased used, so my previously posted assessment is not fair. Once I replaced the tubes in that amp and fixed up some other minor problems, everything was kosher sounding.
I've played through Vox, Fender, Marshall, Hiwatt, Boogie, Dumbell, Ampeg and Peavey amps, among others.
While we are on the topic, I have a copy of Mike Doyle's "The Sound of Rock- A History of Marshall Valve Guitar Amplifiers" that has been autographed for me by Jim Marshall- a big name in the world of musical instrument amplification. Nice avatar, BTW, musicmaker!

musicsmaker
05/13/2003, 12:25 PM
Ok, I have been reading up on this a little. To answer my own question, yes a 6L6 is the same as a 5881. I have decided to go with either the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ (http://www.thetubestore.com/sovtek6l6wxt.html) or the Grove Tubes GT6L6S (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030513072531065167039003181811/g=home/search/detail/base_id/35014). Notice the price difference. The most IMPORTANT tube {by far!} in a guitar amp with a gain/pre amp stage is the PRE-AMP tube 12AX7/7025/etc which is the first gain stage in many amps . Definitely spend the money to get a quality tube in that socket! Guess I have to read up on what a quality tube in that category is. Will they make a difference in my sound, or is it more a matter of "this one squeals, and this one doesn't"? Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

musicsmaker
05/13/2003, 12:26 PM
I see you replied while I was typing. Thanks for the avatar compliment also. :D

EDIT: I have to edit my above post.