PDA

View Full Version : Moved daddy Banggai to nursery tank...

gas4544
03/24/2001, 02:34 PM
Yesterday was day 20 of daddy carrying eggs, so it was time to move him to nursery tank #2. Nursery tank #1 is holding 30 five-week old banggers, so I had to prepare a second 10-gallon nursery tank.
I hope to have the current batch of banggers eating frozen brine shrimp full-time within the next couple of weeks so I can sell them to a LFS that is interested. Earlier this week, I started feeding them frozen BS, and some of them are eating it.
Last night after midnight, I looked for an opportunity to catch daddy in the 75-gallon reef. It took about 30 minutes of prayer, patience, and two nets. It is such a wonderful feeling to catch him and have him safely moved to the nursery.

FMarini
03/25/2001, 05:21 PM
Hi:
congrats on your multiple successes.
So.it reads like everything is going great. I can only point you to two things. One... don't feed the larger brood just frozen brine. I would rotate w/ multiple shaved food items. I really like shaved shrimp, shaved crab claw meat, and shaved white fish. I say this becuz frozen brine doesn't not contain enuf HUFAs. Second I can recommend you soak these shaved food items in a SELCON type product.
Otherwise ...your doing great
frank

gas4544
03/28/2001, 01:48 PM
I counted six babies this morning that were released over night. The male still has quite a mouthful. I expect that he will release the rest of them over the next couple of days.
I have my two nursery tanks side by side. The size difference between the five-week olds and the new babies is amazing!

gas4544
03/29/2001, 02:39 PM
Last night the father released the rest of the babies. I did not get an accurate count yet, but it looks like somewhere in the low 20's. I moved him back to the reef tank, and his mate is hangin' around with him. I'm gonna try to fatten him up over the next week or so, as I expect she is gonna start her shimmy dance again.
I would have transferred him to nursery tank #1 for a couple of weeks, but I still have the batch of 6-week old babies in there. I hope to sell them before I have a need for nursery tank #1 for the next batch of babies (at least three weeks from today).