PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Reef Systems Countertop DI Filter

Tom Berry
05/10/2003, 11:52 AM
Is anyone using this?

https://bpweb.bpweb.com/aquaticreefsystems.com/TWP_Tap_Water_Purifier.htm

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a similiar product their Tap Water Purifier but this loooks like a better unit.

Tom Berry:fish2:

wthorpe
05/10/2003, 12:29 PM
haven't tried that, but i am using the aq. pharm. tap water filter that you mention. the cartridge seems to produce about 50 gal before needing replacement. that's lower than i expected given what i'd heard about the quality of new york city water. i'd be interested other people's experiences with either unit.

warren

Peabody
05/10/2003, 02:55 PM
That is not efficient for $$. It will exaust in no time and you will have to buy expensive refils. Get their cheap 2 stage RO unit. I got one for $69 and use my old Aquarium Pharmaceuticals TWP after it so I have my own cheap RO/DI unit.

Depending on how crappy your tap water is the DI unit alone may exaust in less than 50 gallons, maybe a lot less! (I would get about 40-50 out of a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals TWP . Those aren't cost effective.

Steven Pro
05/10/2003, 03:02 PM
I had an Aquarium Pharmacueticals Tap Water purifier and got about 40-50 gallons out of it before needing a new cartridge. About five years ago I switched to a Kati-Ani 2 unit and love it. It makes superb water, is completely rechargable, cheap to recharge, produces 10 gallons per minute, and comparable initial cost to many RO units. See here http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4499

wthorpe
05/10/2003, 06:51 PM
hey, steven

just curious... what's involved with recharging the kati-ani combo?

Steven Pro
05/11/2003, 06:00 AM
You run a diluted solution of Muriatic acid (You can buy this at any hardware store. It is sold/used for etching concrete.) through the Kati unit. The Ani portion is recharged with a chemical you buy at the grocery store called Red Devil Lye. It is for unclogging drains. Both are pretty nasty chemicals, so I don't recommend these units for everyone. If you are comfortable working safely with these, then you may want to consider this unit. I have the number 2 size set and get at least 200 gallons, perhaps as many as 300 gallons, between recharges. The chemicals cost around $10 total and last for about 3 recharges. It is a very cost effective method of purifyig water. It makes no waste water and can produce up to 240 gallons per day. The only downside is the recharging.

The H2O Guru
05/12/2003, 11:25 PM
You can buy D.I. resin in bulk or in much larger containers . You could get tanks of resin that range from 7 inches indiameter and 18 inches tall to tanks larger than you are .
You can also buy refillable cartridges .
To regenerate D.I. you need acid and caustic . Both dangerous and smelly .

It's up to you but the R.O. D.I. is the absolute best of both worlds , no chemicals , no bacteria , no virus ,no pathogens , no endotoxins or heavy metals . Something D.I. alone can not say .

The H2O Guru Walter