PDA

View Full Version : lexan

ofblong
05/08/2003, 04:50 PM
I posted this in do it yourself column but was told to get more opinions. What, if any, is a problem with using lexan for a sump? I plan on using 1/2 inch or possibly 3/8" thick lexan for a 20 gallon sump. Does anyone see any problems with this? also how far apart should the baffles be in the tank?

The R/C Man
05/08/2003, 05:28 PM
Hey ofblong!

I found it much cheaper to convert a regular aquarium for the job. They are relitivly inexspensive compared to the acrylic and all you have to do is add some baffels. I coverted a 10g for my 25g tank. It only cost $12 for the aquarium. I already had the acrylic and the silicon costs $10 from NAPA....

As for the spaces on the baffels I guess it depends what exactly you are doing... Mine is a sump/refugium. I made the sump portions only big enough to hold the skimmer an the return pump. I wanted to make the refugium as large as possible...

If you decide to do the acrylic thing 3/8" should be plenty. That is what I plan on using for my 115gal sump/refugium on a 180gal tank. Of course the baffels support a lot of the weight. Hope that helps....

Good luck!

ofblong
05/08/2003, 05:36 PM
well i get the lexan and silicon for free so thats not an issue =]. I just cant get acrylic for free thats why i was wondering if lexan is poor for salt water or not.

The R/C Man
05/08/2003, 05:49 PM
I am not sure what the difference is between the two. I believe I am actually using lexan for my baffels...... You also have to make sure that the silicon is a non-toxic type. If not it will bleed toxins into the water. :eek:

Addicted Reefer
05/08/2003, 06:03 PM
I used lexan for my baffles and a frag holder i asked in the reef chemicals forum before i used it. So its no a problem there. You would have to make the cuts very straight and edges near perfect. Use a router for the edges and table saw for the cuts. Also I agree though i would just buy a 20g unless you plan on drilling it our something that would cost alot more than just the tank.

ofblong
05/08/2003, 08:02 PM
I plan on drilling it. two i plan on using a mill to make the edges straight =].

Addicted Reefer
05/08/2003, 11:36 PM
Well then what the heck. Its not going to cost you much. i would be interested to see how it turns out. I think the all glass silicone would work well. My baffles are solid. Good luck

ofblong
05/09/2003, 08:54 AM
when im done I will post pics of it =]