PDA

View Full Version : did I just transfer a disease to another tank??

Diatom2
05/06/2003, 07:01 PM
Okay here is the deal. I have a 7 gallon bow front that had a firefish in it until last night... (fin rot I think) this tank has been set up for almost 2 years and the firefish I had for over 1 1/2 years, he has been in the 7 gallon the entire time. Nothing new has been added for over a year.

On Sunday I noticed that he was acting funny- he had found a new cave and was swimming around more than usual, so I tried to keep my eye on him. Monday morning I noticed some white patches on his fins. I had some Maracyn and started treating it, did tests on the tank, all parameters are fine, slight amnonia, and lower pH, so I did a water change- then all readings were right on. I continued to treat and continued to test water readings. Last night I noticed that he seemed to be having a hard time breathing, so I grabbed my air pump from my 55 gallon and placed it in the 7 gallon to help him out. It was only in for a few minutes because I was afraid that it was just stressing him out more. I removed the hose and without thinking placed it back in my 55 gallon tank.

So- today I am feeding the fish in the 55 gallon and notice a small white spot on the side of the tomato clown.....did I transfer this disease to this tank??? I don't think that it is sand on him, but he is a digger. Am I being paranoid? The 7 gallon had been treated with Maracyn for over 24 hours before I added the air pump. Has anyone heard of diseases being transfered like this? If so, what do I need to do now? I don't want to loose these fish- I have had these fish for almost 5 years, they are now part of my family. Trying everything and seeing a fish die from finrot is a horrible experience. I don't want to deal with it again.
Thanks in advance!!!

Diatom2
05/07/2003, 04:53 PM
Bump

Don't tell me that I am the only one who has done this=) The spot is still there, though it is not getting any bigger. He is still eating like a pig.