PDA

View Full Version : Clam Q+A

Carlos Padilla
05/06/2003, 05:40 PM
i have a 6,inch squamosa clam in a 58 gallon oceanic reef ready aquarium with a retro-fit 20,000K metal halide bulb. with spider reflector and 3,inch sand bed consisting of aragonite mixed with other sand cant think of it at the moment? and i also have an ecosystem aquarium miracle mud filtration sump approximately about 25 gallon sump underneath the cabinetry. my question is that i periodically see or catch my clam letting some kind of what looks like little strinlgy brown to black poops come out of his bottom the one with the teeth closures on it:confused: and periodically out of his siphon tube that he moves around like his eye or something:confused: can you all tell me what is this stuff hes releasing:confused: and i also see he has grown an inch of white new shell:confused: does this mean hes doing well:confused: any and all information will be appreciated! thanks all you fellow comrades:smokin:

Potsy
05/06/2003, 06:24 PM
Strange to see anything coming out of his "mouth" but my squamosa releases firm little fecal pellets from time to time from his excurrent siphon. If the disjecta is brown and stringy, it could be regulating the amount of symbiotic zooxanthellae in its system. If the clam is steadily growing, I wouldn't worry. Does it react strongly to shadows?

Carlos Padilla
05/07/2003, 09:45 AM
yes potsy, reacts strongly to shadowy movements!

Potsy
05/07/2003, 03:13 PM
If it reacts to strongly to shadowy movements, is showing growth, then it's doing just fine. How about posting a pic of the clam just for fun?

Carlos Padilla
05/07/2003, 05:46 PM
i wish that i could, but my 18 month old little boy broke my floppy disk thing a mah jigger and now i cant put the floppy disk inside after i take the pik with the palmcorder:( im gonna try and fix it though bud, so dont worry i will send you one hopefully soon.

onegreenray
05/09/2003, 05:11 AM
MY SQUAMOSSA CLAM DOES THE SAME THING. EJECTS SMALL PELLETS OF BROWN STUFF. BUT ALSO REACTS TO SHADOWS AND FISH SWIMING BY. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOURS IS DOING FINE.

Carlos Padilla
05/09/2003, 10:22 AM
thanx one green ray;)