PDA

View Full Version : Inter American tanks

golfish
05/04/2003, 01:27 AM
I'm getting ready to order my next tank. The IA tanks are half the price of the Lee Mars but I've read so many post were people have not gotten what they ordered. I'm just wondering if its worth the savings to get the IA or should I go with the Lee Mar?

mx_tang
05/04/2003, 01:56 AM
A fellow reefer just bought one from them. You can read the post here (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182665). You can PM or e-mail him and ask him personally about the tank, otherwise, I'll be over there next Saturday to check it out and can get back to you on the quality, etc.

boy-n-sea
05/04/2003, 02:58 AM
I have an IA tank 98x36x36 ( 550 gal. ). It's been in service for FOURTEEN years without a problem. The quality I would rate at a 9 out of 10. :D

clown-t
05/04/2003, 09:28 AM
i bought mine from a guy that never added water to it so i didn't have the problem with ia but the tank is very nice. the mirror back has a great reflection when i keep it clean. make sure when it arrives you have alot of help to move it it is very heavy (60x27x27). you will be very happy with the choose. good luck

visualscapes
05/04/2003, 09:34 AM
Hey Golfish,
I originally was gonna buy an IA tank, but was actually able to get my AGA for a little less (because the IA shipping is alot!) from an lfs. I also think I'll get it way faster (like next week, yipee!). I have read some good things about IA lately though so.............

golfish
05/04/2003, 05:21 PM
bump

diegodog
05/05/2003, 07:36 AM
bump

Fishster
05/05/2003, 08:21 AM
I have several tanks from them and all are of excellent quality, and exactly what I asked for. But then again I may be biased as I work there part time. One complaint that I can really understand is often it takes longer than expected to get them.

clamlvr
05/05/2003, 08:51 AM
I just set up my tank last night. it looks I got just what I ordered:rollface:

teevee
05/05/2003, 10:28 AM
ordered it at 30" high, got 29.5". got free starphire on all four sides, so i'm satisfied.

kyzmy
05/05/2003, 07:11 PM
Not to bad mouth IA but Mitch is inconsistent. I have ordered 6 tanks total from him for myself and others in my area and some are good others are way off. The one's that weren't good were either not what they wanted or poor condition.

My advice, be very specific with the guy. Leave no room for him to say "Oh it was never specified so we'll just do this..." And then pray he doesn't screw up....

golfish
05/05/2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by kyzmyss
Not to bad mouth IA but Mitch is inconsistent. I have ordered 6 tanks total from him for myself and others in my area and some are good others are way off. The one's that weren't good were either not what they wanted or poor condition.

My advice, be very specific with the guy. Leave no room for him to say "Oh it was never specified so we'll just do this..." And then pray he doesn't screw up....

That's what I'm worried about, I'll probably draw up the plans, fax it to him and have him at least acknowledge receipt of the plans and fax that back to me. I have read that sometimes he just ignore some of the plans sent to him. As fas as the drilled holes, do I need to be specific with the hole size or just tell him what bulkhead it will be for....I'm thinking both.

clamlvr
05/06/2003, 06:45 AM
When I talked to MItch I said what I wanted in tank , he made some very good recomednations and I made some changes once we agreed he put them on paper faxed it over. I called him back about three times to make corrections and had him fax it back to me once I was satisfied with what he put on paper I placed my order and the rest is History.:D

teevee
05/06/2003, 08:54 AM
i've been thinking about this a bit - mitch isn't really the type to take orders. i have a feeling that the extremely complex plans are half the problem. whether or not he can understand them is beside the point. he won't take the time because in a way he feels it's an insult to his intelligence. i think he is trying to move out of the custom business and more into the manufactured line business, and as such, places less importance on jobs that aren't standard. my tank came off without a hitch, really, and i think that's partly because of the fact that it is a fairly normal tank. for instance, you don't need to tell him how big of a hole and bulkhead you want. i said "mitch, i want a 2" overflow", and that's exactly what i got, with the proper bulkhead. give him the basic specs, tell him you won't take anything but exactly what you ordered, and leave it at that.

just my opinion...

kyzmy
05/06/2003, 10:15 AM
Golfish, yes make sure you are very specific on the size bulkhead hole you want and even the placement. I went down to the detail of how big I wanted the overflow itself....

The last tank we received from him had the correct bulkhead hole but there was so much damn silicon on the overflow it was near impossible to put a bulkhead in it....

Tim
06/24/2003, 05:22 PM
^