PDA

View Full Version : Red Bubble Algae Picture. Have you seen this before?

mdhyde
05/03/2003, 07:10 PM
I have this stuff growing in my tank. It spreads very slowly and looks very unique. The picture is fuzzy, but it has round bubbles deep burgandy in color with a strange white pattern on the top.

As the bubble matures, the white pattern becomes more intense and the round bubble "flattens" out. It almost looks like a mushroom at this stage. I have some of these growing, but hard to get a shot. Re visit this thread later and I will be posting more pics anf closeups.

So have you ever seen this? Do you consider this to be a nuisance algae? People who look at the tank remark how unusual and beautiful it is. I personally like it's looks too.

I don't have much of it. It came in on one small piece of LR and it has spread to 4 or 5 spots in one year.

It is in an 80 gallon Reef with a DSB and 90lbs. LV.

To see pictures of the tank click below and look in "Reef" album.

http://photos.yahoo.com/mdhyde

Thanks for looking and any comments are appreciated! :)

mouse6196
05/03/2003, 09:26 PM
I've had this but when I added three emerald crabs, they devoured it....it won't spread as fast as the green bubble algae. Not so sure if it's good or bad.

kevinpo
05/04/2003, 07:45 AM
I have lots of it in my sump but it becomes quite overgrown with coralline algae and turns purple on the top. My tangs make short work of it in the main display.

Regards,
Kevin

KDodds
05/04/2003, 08:40 AM
As with most "nuisance" algaes, it's only a bad thing when it starts to overcome more desirable species. Harvesting is always a good idea, IMO.

drmofsea
06/18/2003, 07:57 PM
i have this in my fuge ....

Seacat
06/18/2003, 08:22 PM
I've recently started seeing the same thing appearing in my 125 reef. Haven't figured out what it is. Tried removing it, but it returns within a couple of weeks.

TippyToeX
06/18/2003, 09:28 PM
Yep, red bubble algae, Botryocladia skottsbergii. I had some growing for a short time in my main tank.
I read this (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.htm) piece from Reef Keeping and implemented a few control methods. Worked like a charm and cleared up in a few months.

HTH