PDA

View Full Version : Blinded by the light...!!!!!!

Leviathan
05/01/2003, 11:28 PM
I am about dizzy now, I have spent the last couple days looking into getting a new halide system as my old hamilton system is on the fritz. I dont remember there being so many choices out there when I picked out my first system. PFO, HQI, electronic, magnetic, pulse start, probe start, tar and coil, the possibilities seem endless. However I have started to narrow it down to a few possibilities. Here is one of my options, and I would like to get some feedback as to weither anyone sees any potential problems with it or not.

Its from Hellolights.

175watt electronic ARO ballast.: It is stated on the site to be able to fire "ANY" 175 watt bulb reguardless if its a pulse, probe start or a HQI standard mogal base.

It comes with no bulb ( I already have AB10k's that are less than 3 months old so this isnt a problem )

The mogal is mounted onto a 5"x13"16" parabolic polished aluminum reflector.

Also comes with the grounded powercord, wire & nuts etc...

For $165.00 before shipping.

I will be getting 2 to fit into a new canopy I will be building this weekend to go along side my 2-110watt vho's that I already have for actinics.

Anyone see any problems with this setup ( as far as it being a bad ballast to try and fire higher kelvin bulbs later down the road, or longevity of ballast? ) or any other problems that I might run into? After this much reading and trying to decide my mind is a bit mushy and thought some fresh input on the matter might point out something I am not thinking of at this time. It comes with a 3year warrenty I should add.

Thanks

Chris

P.S.- I have some other possibilities in mind as well but thought I had to start somewhere in this post, if feedback on this option is negative I will post some other options

:)

Leviathan
05/01/2003, 11:37 PM
If this is the route I go, it may sound stupid but I have never had reflectors like this in my old halide system. Due to space constrictions can the reflectors be cut to a smaller width without hurting their effeciency? I will need to cut at least 1-2" from each side of it to be able to get them and the v.h.o. retro I already have into the new canopy?

Thanks again

Chris:)

Leviathan
05/02/2003, 05:07 AM
Anyone?:)

Maybe I should bump this during the day tommorow when theres a better chance to get some feedback, ok now im just talking to myself:D

easttn
05/02/2003, 08:24 AM
Leviathan,

Its a good choice. I just finished my DIY from Hellolights last w/e. I bought two m135 pulse starts for the dual 400W radiums. Came with starters and caps. The reflectors are very reflective and of good quality sheet metal. They can be cut (would not cut though...bare metal over salt water is bad news) or bent, the width of them fit perfectly into the hood of my 90. If you need help with any of the wiring pm me, its pretty straight forward though. It was a fun project, and I saved a boatload. Good quality stuff.

Leviathan
05/02/2003, 01:50 PM
easttn,

Thanks for the reply, I had been rethinking my plan on cutting the reflectors, I will most likely just bend them so I will be able to fit the vho's in the canopy as well.

Leviathan
05/02/2003, 04:05 PM
Anyone else with any feedback on this before I order it?

mr294
05/02/2003, 04:26 PM
I had two of those ballasts for a little over a year, and they fired all the double ended and single ended 150/175w bulbs I tried on them. They're currently on someone elses tank, and still going strong. I've been very happy with everything I have purchased at hellolights.

rji1966
05/02/2003, 04:30 PM
I just bought two 400w magnetic ballast from hello lights and the parabolic reflectors. with two iwasaki 6500k lamps. I have their 250w ARO electronic ballast. No complaints and probalbly the best prices around.
I have a total of seven of these parabolic reflectors. ANd I just found out with the recent order that these reflectors are meant to be installed perpendicular to the front of the tank. To fit these in a hood with existing flourescent the canopy would need to be at least 20" wide. I have been using these reflectors since I setup back in June'02 parallel to the long side of the tank. I am fortunate in that my tanks are in a wall and I just suspend these reflectors from the ceiling.
I could be wrong or have misunderstood what was told to me.

Leviathan
05/02/2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the replys everyone.

They're currently on someone elses tank

Why did you get rid of them? upgrade?

To fit these in a hood with existing flourescent the canopy would need to be at least 20" wide

I am actually going to HD tomorrow to get the material to build a completely new canopy ( something I have been meaning to do for some time ) I will have only 18" to work with and between the new reflectors and the vho retro I have I will be 2" short on space, but I figure I can bend or cut as little as possible to get them to fit. Guess I will be ordering theses things tommorow between your replys and some feedback elsewhere I have heard nothing but good things about theses electronic ballasts.

Thanks again,

Chris