PDA

View Full Version : what about this setup

LENNIE
04/30/2003, 08:56 PM
im building a 135 gal. 6' long 18" wide 24" deep. i wanted to go with 400w radiums but keep getting the too blue comment. i already have 1 pfo hqi 400w ballast. what i'm thinking about is 2 250 icecap or standard pfo ballast on each end with 10k bulbs. i mainly like softies but would like to have some clams and brain. i thought maybe putting the clams and any sps i want in the middle 2' under the 400 and the softies and such on the ends. would the diff in wattage be terribly obvious or not that much? also i am worried about the heat with 3 400's. with the 250 10k's on the ends and the 400 radium in the middle i can deal with the heat i think. any opinions would be welcomed. has anyone ever mixed wattage with success. oh well i'm rambling now. i think you guys get the idea. would it be good,bad, or ugly.

tks LD

Flatlander
05/01/2003, 08:00 AM
Hi Lennie,
There are several threads with pics in the reef forum, about mixing other lights with Radiums. Depending on the height of the lights or how close they are together, it could work. If its normal separation for 3 bulbs on a 6ft. tank, you may see the colour separation. A pair of 250w Iwasaki bulbs on each side of the Radium would be a nice light and give you at least 2 bulbs that last for more than a year.

On my 6ft. 225g tank, I run 3-400,s. A 400w Iwasaki in the center between a pair of Radiums. However my tank is open top and the bulbs are pretty high. That way the mix is not to bad. I tried the Radium in the center between a pair of 400 Iwasaki,s. I never liked it. Not blue enough for me.

If you search & find some of those pics, it will give you a better comparison.