PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crabs

quazi
04/30/2003, 03:53 PM
My emeralds only last about 6 months. They seem to grow well, they wipe out my bubble algae and then, bam, dead :hmm4:

Does this happen to others? I have a BCS which is 2 years old, 4 year old tangs, and a thriving reef tank with LS, LR, and lot of corals and "stuff"

Are they starving after they wipe out the bubble algae? They seem to eat other things...:sad2:

Any ideas??

Highlander
04/30/2003, 03:59 PM
IME they eat most things so should not starve. Possibly a trace element deficiency - Are you supplementing iodide in your tank? Crustaceans need this for a successful molt.

quazi
04/30/2003, 04:12 PM
Well, I quit doing that a while ago. Maybe that is it. I'll try that!:beer:

technoshaman
04/30/2003, 04:22 PM
I have a problem with emeralds getting too big, I have one that's going on 10 months old and has been banished to the sump on my nano he's a good 3" across and very aggressive. I found that they will do a real number on macroalgaes but once they run out you can supplement with pellets, spirulina tablets and they will eat animal flesh but this could get problematic obviously. As for the trace elements regular water changes should give them the necessary levels of iodine to molt - I dose nothing except kalk and occasionally some iron plus water cahnges. Most of my emeralds are on their 2nd or 3rd molt at least.

You might try tying some nori or romaine lettuce to a rock and setting it in an out of the way place your emeralds can get to it.