PDA

View Full Version : xenia in check

Jeff Frag
04/30/2003, 01:19 PM
Hey Eric

Trying to keep xenia from spreading rather than having to harvest it every 2 weeks. It has about a 12in by 12in area in the middle front of my tank. Ive placed a Hammer on one side a Bubble coral in the back and a frogspawn on the right in hopes to contain it naturally. Is this possible? It does'nt seem to be working so far Xenia is still rampant.

THANX JEFF

picassomike
04/30/2003, 03:30 PM
Or you can place the rock with the xenia on the sand.The xenia won't grow onto the sand.

Chrismo
04/30/2003, 04:02 PM
I keep pruning mine too. It's aggravating. I wish my peppermint shrimp would eat it or something. Even when I peel it off the rock, it must leave bits behind, because it grows back. I try to think of it as nutrient export.

In fact I've traded it so much, I've heard people call me "that Xenia Guy". I like xenia, but I dont want to be it's spokes-model. :)

Chrismo

TangerineHorse
04/30/2003, 04:05 PM
Hey, Chrismo, what kinda of xenia do you have? Where are you from? I am from Bay area California, if you are near by, I am interested in buying some of your xenias. I am looking for pom pom xenia, silver tip, and pink xenia. :-)

RandomChaos
04/30/2003, 04:14 PM
When you frag it, dont cut off the branches. Instead rip it/pull it off of the rocks. I find this the best way to slow growth.

It will still come back, but take longer.

BTW - cutting it off at the base does not help. That little bit of base will grow back into a 10000000 pieces.

I had a flame angel once that used to pick at mine. I thought "Oh boy, this guy will keep it in check". Instead thousands of little heads started popping up everywhere.

You can see it in this pick here of my oldest tank, almost like an umbrella blocking all of the light down below.

Right side view
http://www.lubbockreefclub.com/users/dustan/images/rightsd.JPG

Left Side View
http://www.lubbockreefclub.com/users/dustan/images/leftview.JPG

Luckily I upgraded to a 140G and was able to toss/ give away all I didn't want anymore.

Chrismo
04/30/2003, 04:16 PM
I would give it to you, but I'm in toronto Canada. The one I always have too much of was sold to me as Xenia Elongata. It's got really long fingers. In one low light tank, the daughters are bluish and stalky, – in tank#2 it's smaller, faster growing, and yellow/pink.

I have pom pom too, but keep it outa bright light so it doesnt grow too fast. I've heard it doesnt ship will otherwise I'd mail it to you. :)

Chrismo

pbutkovich
04/30/2003, 08:46 PM
Chrismo
I live in Barrie and come down to Toronto all the time. I would love to get some of your Xenia!!
Paul

Chrismo
04/30/2003, 11:30 PM
Nice looking tank RandomChaos! Those Xenia just love to climb eh?

pbutkovich : Sure thing. Come and git some. I'm at Keel and Bloor. email me at chris@metricksystem.com and we'll arrange a time etc.

Chris

zboy34
05/01/2003, 07:35 PM
Anyone close to northwest Ohio ????? I would love some xenia. email me at sevitz5@hotmail.com if anybody close has any. thanks all Excellent place of info

benzzin190
05/06/2003, 01:47 AM
Hey Guys Im new to the game and i think Xenia is the easist thing to stick with i have low watt lighting...
E-mail me and im interested in buying some different xenia..
benzzin190@yahoo.com

Python73
05/06/2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by zboy34
Anyone close to northwest Ohio ????? I would love some xenia. email me at sevitz5@hotmail.com if anybody close has any. thanks all Excellent place of info

Steve - how long of a drive do you have to PGH? I am right off of PA Turnpike exit 3. I have all the xenia you want, and some other things. I'll give you unmounted xenia for free, or frag prices or trade if you have anything. PM me if interested.

S !

ToiletTank13
05/06/2003, 08:57 AM
is that a coris wrasse in there?

U ever had it eat crabs or any of those softies?

RandomChaos
05/06/2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by ToiletTank13
is that a coris wrasse in there?

U ever had it eat crabs or any of those softies?

Yes, he will pick on crabs and snails when they are on the sand. Funny though if they stay on the rocks he doesn't bother them.

He doesn't kill though, it is usually a pick at them and then he is off to somewhere else.

If I could catch him though I would probably move him to one of my other tanks.

Stoopid me, I just upgraded from that 72 bowfront to a 140 and when I moved him I didn't think to put him somewhere else :(

Ohe well, he is not too much of a pain, and is kind of pretty

ToiletTank13
05/06/2003, 09:55 AM
definitely a beautiful fish tho :)