PDA

View Full Version : A/C unit for chiller?

Acolin
04/30/2003, 10:58 AM
I am thinking about putting a small $96 window unit with 5,000 BTU/Hour cooling capacity on a timer near the sump (no room or desire to plumb an expensive chiller) of my miniature tropical marine reef aquarium system. Anybody have any experience using a small window air conditioner to blow cold air on their reef sump? Any problems with this on the same GFIC circuit with the electronic ballast VHOs?

The R/C Man
04/30/2003, 04:21 PM
Acolin,

I think that might not be a great idea. If the air conditioner is not mounted in a window or on an outside wall you might be defeating the whole purpose. The air conditioner produces or should I say draws heat from the air by transfering into the refigerant. The refrigerant runs trough coils where a fans blows on them, this hot air is normally discharged out the rear of the unit. So if you set it on the floor you will just end up heating the whole room.

I was also wanting to save money on a chiller because my tank is only 25 gal. So here is a fairly inexspensive cooler. It's a Thermoelectric Heater/Chiller by Azoo. You can get them at www.petwarehouse.com for $269.99. As far as size goes this thing is only about 7" x 7" x 8".

After talking with my BOSS (wife) she suggested getting a widow air conditioner and just cooling the whole room.... Not only does it benifit the reef but us as well.........It just won't work sitting on the floor.....

I Hope that helps!