PDA

View Full Version : ASM Eurostyle Skimmer

pappasth
04/30/2003, 09:56 AM
Has anyone out there had any experience with these skimmers from Champion ? they seem to be very similar if not the same as Euroreef. I would like to know if anyone has one or know someone who has and what they thought of it.

StashuDave
05/01/2003, 11:09 AM
I used 1 on a 360 gal maintenance account that I had. It was the G-3 and it pulled out a ton. The smell was only comparable to what a ETSS with a large pump can pull out. I would definately recommend it if you have the space for it, they tend to be a larger skimmer, but need little clearance to get the collection cup off and out. The sedra pump is also kind of large, but it's built (and feels as heavy as) a cinder block. I believe Randy O is taking care of the aquarium now and I'd be interested to see what his comments are about it's long term performance ( plus he's the one that talked me in to trying the skimmer ). Hope that helps,
Dave

RandyO
05/02/2003, 12:11 AM
Hi Guys,
I have one of these skimmers running on my system in my basement. I love it. It is very comparable to the Euro-reef skimmer. I think the Euro-reef is a little more expensive, and a little better built. The only thing I don't like about my skimmer is the o-ring where the collection cup sits, leaks. I have had hands on experience with 3 different skimmers of this model(G-2x), 1 model G-3(which Dave spoke of) and 1 G-5. The G-5 and a couple of the G-2's are run at the store I currently work at. I always give a tour to anyone wanting to see these skimmers at work.
Anyway, back to the leak. 3 of the 5 skimmers leaked at this o-ring. Since it is a sump skimmer, it does not matter too much. But the small amount of water that does leak, contains mico-bubbles. And that could matter if you have a small sump, with no bubble baffles.
I don't believe the Euro-reef has this problem.
Maybe I could take a pic of the thing right now.
O.K, you talked me into it.

RandyO
05/02/2003, 12:52 AM
Here's the pic. Just ignore the detritus buildup. The red o-ring is where the leak is. But you can't tell from the pic.
http://users.adelphia.net/~randyolszewski/images/May_2003_skimmer.jpg

candaya
05/02/2003, 01:22 AM
I had an original G-2 and recently upgraded to the G-3. I had a problem with leaking on the G-3 and All Seas Marine in Torrance, Californa replaced the O-ring. Overall, these are great skimmers that are set and forget.

azwhippinboy
05/05/2003, 07:37 PM
I have one of the new versions of the G2 and would recommend it to anyone. Its built well, the sedra pump is rock-solid, and it pulls out a ton of goo. My only other skimmer was an aquaC remora, what a POS. Its like going from a yugo to a BMW....

-Harley

ronreef
05/10/2003, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I agree... the AquaC EV-180 IS a big POS. I now own the the ASM G-2. Just got it yesterday....

Can you guys give me any tips on set-up????

Ron

RandyO
05/10/2003, 12:15 PM
Put it in the sump and plug it in. After that, its just adjusting the riser tube. Keep the riser tube low for the first few hours, to let the skimmer break in. I try to keep the water level in the skimmer just above the mouth opening, so if the collection cup was off, it would overflow just a little bit.
That level gives me some nice dry foam in the collection cup.