PDA

View Full Version : How to get a COPPERBAND to EAT???

Reefs1
04/29/2003, 10:10 PM
I just got one of these, very small (about 2 inches) but very healthy and reactive. However, he has not responded to any food offerings as of yet. Anyone have any experience with these and how to stimulate their appetites a bit. I have read an open clam is one tactic, but I thought maybe you experts would have some other tricks.

I think he will be ok for a week or two since I have some Aiptasia and some bristle worms..But I need to know how to get him to eat regular foods as well for the long term since he will quickly exhaust these. THX!!

Flame*Angel
04/30/2003, 06:16 AM
Have you tried mysis shrimp yet? Mine really loves it. Another of his favourites is frozen scallops. I just chop them into tiny bits, he loves it.

drewby07
04/30/2003, 06:53 AM
if he still hasn't eaten, try live adult brine shrimp. this was the only thing mine would eat at first. after a few days you can mix in some frozen mysis....and eventually wean him onto prepares foord completely.

FWIW the open clam thing didn't work for me one bit. i would take flame angel's advice, however, they seem to LOVE mysis!

HTH!

Reefs1
04/30/2003, 07:00 AM
Thanks guys...I will try both of those, I have some Mysis in the freezer.

Preds
04/30/2003, 07:32 AM
I got mine feeding with diced squid. Now eats anything and everything I put in the tank.

Reefs1
04/30/2003, 07:40 AM
I think tonight I will go to the supermarket and pick up some of this stuff and make a mix for him. He is pretty small so I am going to have to make the peices small for his beak. Can you guys offer some insight into how you offered these foods and how they were prepared?

Preds
04/30/2003, 07:45 AM
I just allowed mine to soak in Zoe and Zoecon then dropped it straight into the water and it fed from the water column. However, I have heard a method whereby you get a piece of rock, slate for things like angels, but probably more 'holey' rock is better for butterflies, and mix up a thick paste using things like mysis, squid, vitamins and flake foods. Put blobs of the paste on the rock, and allow it to dry in an airing cupboard or something. Then put the rock in the tank and hopefully the CBB will start to pick. Remove the rock and start again once the food either runs out or has been in the tank for a bit too long.

HTH.

Reefs1
04/30/2003, 08:15 AM
Thats a very good idea...Anyone else?

drewby07
04/30/2003, 09:10 AM
i just added a few BS at a time with the trusty baster....he ate them right out of the water column. then i began adding frozen mysis to the cup of BS and mixing the two....now it's all mysis and he attacks the baster as soon as it hits the water. he actually sticks his "beak" up in it and sucks out the food.

try something alive and i bet he will eat. this will also get him acclimated to eating directly from the water column.

good luck!!

Preds
04/30/2003, 09:29 AM
Apparently Bloodworms are another favourite, but I'm always a bit dubious about using them. You do run the risk of parasites, although I know some frozen bloodworms are gamma irradiated to eradicate parasites and the like.

Reefs1
04/30/2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks Drew, thats good advice..I think what I may do is run the scallops, squid and mysis through a food processor with some Zoe. The squirt it through a baster to him.

I tried the Mysis this morning and although he didn't eat it, he went berserk. So I got a reaction but no solid bites yet.

Flame*Angel
04/30/2003, 12:04 PM
The blender idea sounds good to me. The fact that you observed a response from the mysis is very encouraging. If you can just get him to taste a bit I'll bet he'll be fine.

Keep us posted!

Reefs1
04/30/2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks, I will be sure to let you know.

nimrodfiftyfour
05/01/2003, 11:20 AM
I had mine for about a month before it ate. I had tried brine, mysis, marine quisine, emerald entree, live ghost shrimp, even baby guppys and the only thing he would even nibble at during that time was algae. Finally I found the only thing that would work, and it was really intended as my last hurrah, because if he didn't accept it I was going to give him to a reputable LFS. Anyway, as soon as I put some glassworms in the tank he went NUTS! Even after he started accepting that it was all he would eat, but I enriched it and he ate a ton and got fat and happy. Unfortunately about a year later I over treated him with garlic and apparently shut down his liver:( . That was a sad day...

Leopardshark
05/01/2003, 12:27 PM
I´ve had my copperband for about 6 months, she eats nothing but bloodworms and mysis soaked in vitachem.
Good luck.

sushiman
05/01/2003, 12:55 PM
Make sure these little darlings are eating before you buy...
I've had my Copper for about two and a half years now & I now can hand feed him /her nearly anything, this took some time however. He would only ( and still prefers ) frozen /live BS & Mysis. But over time he got so acustomed to hand feeding that I can now sneek in Formula 1 & 2, sometimes even flake.
This is the second Copperband that I've owned, I've found them both to be very hardy, & generally easy to keep as long as the tank is stable & the menu varied. I lost my first when my tank got boiled one very very hot day (of course I was out of town; 1st rule of Murphyaquariology: your tank will take a nose dive when you are least able to do anything about it.):furious:
good luck.