PDA

View Full Version : need help setting up a jelly tank

mpisciotti
04/29/2003, 01:25 PM
hello first i would like to say thanx for reefcentral great info source.

next is me and my wife are looking to set up a jelly fish tank.
we went to the coneyisland aquarium on sunday and seen there ailen stingers exhabit. and now we must try to set up a jelly tank.

looking to keep lagoon jellys in the tank. i have seen them before for sale in the lfs they called them upside down jellys but since goint to the aquarium i seen an upside down and a lagoon the lfs had lagoon jellys.... what would be the ideal size for a tank since they seem to swim up and not side to side i would think a deep tank but not sure on the gallons...

also what would be the ideal filtration for them... since they seem to not like alot of current..... also not sure on the lighting they need probbly nothing since they had no lights on at the coney island aquarium...if anyone could help we would live to her from you and if you cant we still would like to hear your comments.

thankyou

photobarry
04/29/2003, 02:33 PM
For best results you would need a tank like this.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/14280jellytank.jpg
The water is normally all the way to the top and circulates in a circular pattern. This keeps the jellyfish from hitting the walls of the tank.

-Barry

mpisciotti
04/29/2003, 07:28 PM
what kind of tank it that not very attractive looking.. was thinking of using a octagon tank at least 55 gallons just not sure yet .

GMezzacapo
04/29/2003, 08:04 PM
Hi

This is a very dificult system, I just on the way on a big project for moon jelly fish tank, the people who makes this true is: Tenji's Living system, www.tenji.com

They are best people for this.

Good Luck

Gianni

Justjoe
04/29/2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by mpisciotti
looking to keep lagoon jellys in the tank. i have seen them before for sale in the lfs they called them upside down jellys but since goint to the aquarium i seen an upside down and a lagoon the lfs had lagoon jellys.... what would be the ideal size for a tank since they seem to swim up and not side to side i would think a deep tank but not sure on the gallons...
also what would be the ideal filtration for them... since they seem to not like alot of current..... also not sure on the lighting they need probbly nothing since they had no lights on at the coney island aquarium...if anyone could help we would live to her from you and if you cant we still would like to hear your comments.
thankyou

If you're talking Cassiopea (upside down jelly) they can be kept in basically any tank with enough bottom surface area to keep them somewhat spread out. They do not swim around like most sea jellies. The lights may have been off at NYA when you were there since Cassiopea are photosynthetic and need fairly good lighting. Their diet also needs to be supplemented with artemia nauplii or perhaps Cyclop-eeze may suffice. They are highly toxic so you can't really keep any other fish with them, especially in a smaller home tank if you have a number of jellies. They are commonly found in the Florida Keys. A tank setup as a Berlin type reef tank would suite them fine.
I would suggest first getting the Latin name of the critter you want to keep so we're all on the same page.
Joe

mpisciotti
04/30/2003, 08:30 AM
justjoe ......the latin name for the jelly is catastylus that is the latin name or what they called it in the coney island aquarium was blue lagoon jello (catastylus) they said the sting was not harmful to humans most of the time you cant even feel the mild toxinc the expell..

photobarry
04/30/2003, 11:15 AM
The pic I posted is a specialized tank for keeping midwater animals in a research lab. It hasn't been used in 10-15 years.

-Barry