PDA

View Full Version : PC lighting question

fergieturk
04/29/2003, 12:00 AM
So currently we have 4 65w PCs (two white and two blue) on our 165 g tank. Now we want to upgrade - due to our lack of research when we did the original purchase about month ago.
Here are my questions. Can we upgrade to 96w PC with VHO's without having to do anything to the ballasts? If we can't what exactly should we do? And what website has the best price on whatever we need?
We don't really want to go the MH route b/c our canopy is like 5 inches high and we don't want a heat problem.

P.S. If anything sounds wrong, I probably wasn't listening to the bf very well when he was telling me. oops :rolleyes:

littleprince
04/29/2003, 12:13 AM
I' doubt you'll be able to increase your wattage of light using the same ballasts unless you add additional ones.

There is a chance that your current lightings ballasts still have extra power. You'd have to check what specific ballasts they were in this case.

hellolights.com has some great prices on lighting.

CaptiveReef
04/29/2003, 12:14 AM
If you want to use 96 watt PC's you will have to use the ballast that comes with them. You should still use your existing lights and just add a 96 watt upgrade.
You can use the four 65 watt PC's for your actinic (blue bulbs) and add four 96 watt 10,000k bulbs.
You would have 4 bulbs for each side of the 165 gallon tank, that would be plenty of light.
I have four 96 watt PC's on my 90 gallon, Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D Greg (CaptiveReef)