PDA

View Full Version : Realux versus Custom Sea Life

bdambrose
04/28/2003, 05:12 PM
I'm putting together an 80 gallon reef.

I'm torn between getting 4 Realux23 55w retrofit kits, or the Custom Sea Life 55W retrofit kit.

I've heard that Realux bulbs are much better and stands behind their equipment.

Also that Custom Sea Life bulbs aren't as good, their spectrum isn't as broad, and getting support is like pulling teeth.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with both manufacturers?

Chin_monster
04/30/2003, 03:07 AM
You could get me to try another "bargin" type light I've watched far too many problems with them JBJ, JKS, Helios as well as Realux. I don't like Hamilton's either but it still works, the bulbs do not light as intensely as CSL's. Don't get me wrong I've seen a few problems with CSL equipment as well, but not nearly as frequently as with the others. Besides they are a local company so if/ when there were to be an issue it can be dealt with soonest.

The only issue with CSL is that the 50/ 50 bulbs that come in the single retro kits have some problems with the glue securing the tubes into the socket, all wattages of them (POS's). The single spectrum bulbs are great.

The "bargin" bulbs do seem to have more quality control problems than they should too. I haven't been impressed with one yet.

Personally, if I were to buy more PC's they definitely be CSL -just with single spectrum bulbs. CSL's are 65-watt bulbs rather than 55-watt too.

moonpod
04/30/2003, 08:36 AM
Actually, the VAST majority of PC bulbs regardless of distributor (CSL, AHsupply, etc...) come from the same factories in China, so the quality problems are across the spectrum. One of my gripes w/PC bulbs--Personally I've broken the bulbs at the connectors of multiple varieties, and was just talking to someone who does it at the "U" all the time. It's just the deal w/PC's, and one of the reasons why I personally gave up on them.

That being said, CSL IMO is the best of the "pre-fab" makers. Stay far, far away from JBJ, helios, etc....there are some really bad stories. Search JBJ and FIRE. Personally, if I were starting an 80 reef I'd look at linear fluorescent bulbs (VHO/T5) and/or MH. Better solutions, less frustration, fewer bulb changes. Not to say that you can't make PC work, it's just more work.

Oh yeah, FYI, CSL uses workhorse ballasts, and you can purchase all the parts for a retrokit yourself...and probably put it together for a lot cheaper.....

bdambrose
04/30/2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks for everyone's advice.

I'm starting to think Realux isn't the way to go and that maybe my fish store is trying to make some extra profit.

My 80g tank will be 25" deep, so I think Metal Halides would be beneficial.

But how many watts and how high should the bulb be away from the water to avoid using a chiller. I do have (2) 4" fans in the hood.

So what about (2) 175W Metal Halide with (2) PC Actinic blue?

Thanks

moonpod
04/30/2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by bdambrose

My 80g tank will be 25" deep, so I think Metal Halides would be beneficial.-- absolutely, unless you got a REALLY tall sandbed

But how many watts and how high should the bulb be away from the water to avoid using a chiller. I do have (2) 4" fans in the hood. I'm not an MH guy, but what I've seen is their typically 6-7 inches off the top w/canopies that BREATHE

So what about (2) 175W Metal Halide with (2) PC Actinic blue? go VHO actinic--much better color IMO and better fluorescence. Some would say I'm sure up the MH wattage, but it sounds good to me.

Chin_monster
04/30/2003, 02:34 PM
Whether the CSL bulbs are actually made in China, I don't know. I doubt it, but if it is the case they at least operate under Japanese quality control standards from Panasonic. Virtually all the other bulbs are manufactured in China under looser controls, hence all the isues with quality. It seems for the most part that the manufacturing standards just are not up to our expectations regarding much/ most of the Chinese made equipment.

As far MH intensities that would depend on just exactly what you want to keep. If (colored) clams are mentioned you'll likely have greater sucess with 250's or greater. If leathers and LPS 175's would be completely appropiate. If all you want are mushrooms and zoanthids there isn't a pressing need at all for MH intensitites.

MH bulbs should be a minimum 6" above the water 8"- 10" or more is better. A 10" canopy will ussually put the bulb at 8" by the time the thickness of the canopy top and socket holder are taken into account. The key to hopefully avoiding the need for a chiller is air circulation, whether using fans or a pendant type fixture.