PDA

View Full Version : How do I utilize multiple SCWDs on one large system?

capt. insano
04/27/2003, 10:39 PM
Is it possible to use a SCWD, or multiple SCWDs effectively in a large tank. I know someone who plumbed a SCWD into his system (a 6' tank), with the max rated flow rate and it does nothing in the tank. It switches sides just fine, but the tank is apparently too long for it to be truly effective. He has dead flow areas in the center of the tank.

My tank is 8' long and I was planning on plumbing in a SCWD when I add a new 150 gallon sump, but now that I have heard this news, I have to innovate a little. How could I effectively use 2 or more SCWD on one return line. I don't mind drilling several new returns, but could I somehow put a "Y" in the return to each side and have a SCWD on both returns somehow?

Thanks

Insano

petedoc
05/24/2003, 05:05 PM
I have a 6 foot long 135gal and have plumbed the return from my sump with a Y splitting the return to two ends of a 6 foot pvc that runs along the top and back of the tank, it has four outlets to the SCWDs, and creates a great deal of turbulent and variable flow. Good luck.

captexas
05/24/2003, 05:44 PM
PeteDoc -
What kind of pump are you using as your return? I am looking at using two SQWDs externally but have not figured out what pump would work well as the output from them is less than the input.

Thanks,
Chris

petedoc
05/24/2003, 06:20 PM
I use a mag 12, a mag 7 should be adequate for 2 SCWDs. They are by far the most economical way to create plenty of motion. Dave

leykis1o1
05/24/2003, 06:38 PM
try using the hunter PGS sprinkler they are reliable and way cheaper like 14 bucks ..they are great wave makers see this thread

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181557[/URL]

petedoc
05/24/2003, 11:24 PM
Has anyone else had experience using modified lawn sprinklers for flow solutions?:rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

leykis1o1
05/25/2003, 03:23 AM
there is no modification you have to do to use this sprinkler as a wave maker..just dont insert the nozzles they come with and bang you have yourself a cheap reliable and wave maker!!