PDA

View Full Version : Concussion in Harlequin Tusk

Wally52
03/14/2001, 09:15 PM
Four and a half years old, eight inches long. Smacked top of tank three weeks ago. stayed in cave for one week, began to occasionally cruise the tank but acts disoriented, doesn't swim into things, but acts lost. Has not eaten, shows interest in food at times, but seems to misjudge location of food item. Think may be partialy blind. Eyes still look like they are focusing. Any Hope?

rshimek
03/14/2001, 10:32 PM
I can't help you.

Moving thread to fish forum.

FMarini
03/15/2001, 01:26 PM
So if i read correctly he hasn't eaten in a week? and is acting disoriented?
When you flash your hand in front of his face does he react w/ roosting fins?
Have you tried putting a strong smelling food in his face (like a fresh shrimp)?
So my guess is that this bump to the noggin has caused either blindess, or olefactory problems. The disorentiation is also a sign of nerve damage.
you can do a few things...one is watchful waiting..where you observe him daily to ensure that he isn't getting worse, and also try to feed him, or remove him from the tank to hius own Q tank, and try to assess the situation better. Since hes a long term captive he should be heathly(minus th ehead bump) and one week of starvation, while not optimal, is not a deal breaker.
Shy of hearing tests,visual tests, and a nerve funtion test. You might be forced to keep a a) blind, b)deaf, 3)dumb tusk. I can tell you from experience, that you can easily keep a blind fish alive for years. I had a friend with a blind tusk, it ate food when you stuck it in his face.the fish lived great for 3 yrs.
not sure if this helps any
frank

Wally52
03/15/2001, 01:50 PM
Thanks Frank for the input, The fish looks great, and does have an interest in food, but cannot seem to find it. My local Vet is comeing to the house to force feed this fish tomorrow. My tusk does visually react to me, he seems aware of his surrondings, does not bump into things, and rolls his eyes, and avoids a net when proded. Am moveing him to an isolation container that is suspended in his tank. The container is a lucite box 16 inches long 10 inches wide and 10 inches deep that is suspended from the tank frame. The container has 1/4 inch holes on one inch centers on all surfaces. I use it to introduce new pets to this tank.

ReefGeekster
09/27/2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Wally52
Thanks Frank for the input, The fish looks great, and does have an interest in food, but cannot seem to find it. My local Vet is comeing to the house to force feed this fish tomorrow. My tusk does visually react to me, he seems aware of his surrondings, does not bump into things, and rolls his eyes, and avoids a net when proded. Am moveing him to an isolation container that is suspended in his tank. The container is a lucite box 16 inches long 10 inches wide and 10 inches deep that is suspended from the tank frame. The container has 1/4 inch holes on one inch centers on all surfaces. I use it to introduce new pets to this tank.

What ever happened? Gotta know the end of this story..... :confused: