PDA

View Full Version : Need help

localfreak
04/22/2003, 12:33 PM
I started up a tank last week (4/13) with the intentions of starting a reef. I started with a little live sand and live rock, waited a couple of days, added 4 damsels and now have some unexpected junk in my tank. I was told to expect the dark brown algae, but have some white slime also on the live rock. I'm reading up on everything I can and I'm a little confused. I don't want to jump the gun and think it's something bad, but I lost one fish today and am just needing a little reassurance that this is normal. Please help!

Hobby Experience: just starting
Current Tanks: 50 gal.
Interests: skateboarding, music

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04/21/2003 09:27 PM

ofblong
Reefer

was the live rock cured when you bought it? Even if it was I woulda waited at least 2 wks before adding any fish. the white slime is it hard? soft? feel like algae?

Hobby Experience: 2yrs FW, 2mth sw
Current Tanks: 10gal fowlr, 55gal cichliad, 125 gallon fw Stingray, 72gal bowed front fowlr

04/21/2003 09:29 PM

asmujica
Maven

To Reef Central

Try to research what the LFS tells you and what is true. Remember, he is mostly out for your money.

We need more data. How much pounds of rock do you have? Was it cured? how many pounds of rock? What equipment do you have?

Hobby Experience: Not Enough.......
Current Tanks: 46 Galon Bowfront, 192 watt pc, Remora w/surface skimmer
Interests: Cars, technology, human stupidity, human ego, reef tanks

04/21/2003 09:48 PM

localfreak
Reefer

The white stuff is slime like. I have about 18# live rock in a 50gal aquarium. Equipped w/ protein skimmer, emperor 280 filter, 2 30 gal. powerheads and lighting unit w/1 96w Actinic and 1 96w 10,000 K flourescent lamps. Unfortunately, I was relying on the dealer to set me up with what I needed and just went with what he said to get, including the book I should start with. I had an aquarium about 15 years ago so had a little bit of knowledge (not alot) and was unaware of the curing process. To say honestly, I didn't cure the rock.

Hobby Experience: just starting
Current Tanks: 50 gal.
Interests: skateboarding, music

Last edited by localfreak on 04/21/2003 at 09:54 PM

TacoKing
04/22/2003, 01:01 PM
Well, first off you did jump the gun by putting in the damsels. You probably have a cycle going on and the ammonia killed the fish. The first thing you want to do is go out and get yourself some quality test kits. I recommend Salifert. The damsels will most likely all die during your cycle. If possible I'd actually remove them and take them back to the LFS if they will take them.

Once your tank has zero ammonia, then and ONLY then I'd start to add a clean up crew. You are going to want a bunch of snails and maybe some crabs (even though I'm against most crabs).

Let that go for a few weeks and then and only then I'd start to slowly add your live stock. They key word there is slowly. One or two fish at a time and keep checking your water parameters.

Hope this helps.

-TK

MalHavoc
04/22/2003, 01:15 PM
I agree with Taco.

Your tank is cycling. You need to get yourself some quality test kits, and start measuring ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Don't add any livestock until ammonia and nitrite consistently read zero. You can kick start the cycling process by using uncured live rock, or a small piece of cocktail shrimp, so there's no reason to kill fish during the process.

Patience is the key. When I set up my tank, I waited months before I added my first fish. I could have added it sooner, but why rush things?

localfreak
04/22/2003, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info. As for the live rock, it is ok to have it in there now, isn't it? And how does the cycle affect it? Also, refering back to my original post, is the white slime and brown algae typical in the startup stages? And one more question, is my equipment sufficient, or did the dealer get away with selling me everything he could? Below is what I have going. Thanks

I have about 18# live rock in a 50gal aquarium. Equipped w/ protein skimmer, emperor 280 filter, 2 30 gal. powerheads and lighting unit w/1 96w Actinic and 1 96w 10,000 K flourescent lamps.

MalHavoc
04/22/2003, 01:48 PM
the live rock will survive the cycle. in fact, it will probably help you get through it. You don't have enough live rock, though. Depending on how porous the rock is, the rule of thumb is between 1 or 1.5 lbs of rock PER gallon of water.

Your equipment may be okay, but it depends on what you want to keep. You probably dont have enough light to be able to keep any corals other than very forgiving, undemanding species, like zooanthids and perhaps mushrooms.