PDA

View Full Version : Gluing frags underwater??

jackson6745
04/21/2003, 12:51 AM
I would like to glue SPS frags to the tips of some branch in my reef but I cannot remove the branch because I don't want to disturb my arrangement. What is the best way to attach frags without removing the rock??

:blown:

Rock Anemone
04/21/2003, 12:56 AM
Get an underwater epoxy such as Plumber Epoxy from Home Depot or Marine Epoxy from Home Depot or Aqua-Stick from your LFS.

Just follow the instructions, it works pretty good and fast.

Rock Anemone:D

lllosingit
04/21/2003, 01:07 AM
I just use super glue gel.
I put the whole tube in the water and squirt a little blob on the rock and then stick the SPS frag on the blob and give it a slight twist to get it to set down good in the glue, hold it there for about five seconds the let go.
Super glue gel sets up really fast under water so you only have about 30 seconds to do the whole procedure but it works every time for me.

jackson6745
04/21/2003, 01:09 AM
I tried superglue but it dried as soon as it came out of the tube-----dried to the tip of the tube not the rock-----any suggestions?

Rock Anemone
04/21/2003, 01:10 AM
Yes, the Super Glue Gel works pretty good, make sure to pourchase non-toxic cyanoacrylate. it works pretty good actually, great for gorg and zoo frags as well.

Rock Anemone
04/21/2003, 01:13 AM
Jackson use the epoxy, which is a putty that dries like cement, it's easy to use and is what most people use for glueing down corals.

lllosingit
04/21/2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by jackson6745
I tried superglue but it dried as soon as it came out of the tube-----dried to the tip of the tube not the rock-----any suggestions?
Try taking the little plastic applicator off the tube, then when you squeeze it out you'll get a good blob.

jackson6745
04/21/2003, 01:14 AM
OK---thanks for your help:)

karm40
04/21/2003, 02:27 AM
I guess it's personal preference, but I like the superglue gel. What I do is bring the frag to the surface. I put a little blob on the end and put it in the water. A surface scum will form. That is when I put another blob on and let that scum over too. I'll do this a few times until there is a pretty good size blob of glue and then a attach it where I want it to go. A little twist and then hold it in place.

Works great,
M