PDA

View Full Version : I think my fish is sick

vanguard
03/13/2001, 11:12 AM
Friends,

I have a seven week old 75g reef tank. Today we noticed a white spot on my 1 1/2" clown fish. I've had her for about four weeks and this is the first sign of hardship she's shown.

It is the only spot that we can see. This is the best picture that I can take. I've been trying for about an hour now.

http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/images/tmp/spot_on_mrs_wiggles.jpg

Other Info:

* I have three fish that are 4" combined. Only one fish has this spot (so far).
* She doesn't seem be be breathing heavily.
* Her swimming is normal.
* I might have noticed scratching the other day but I'm not sure. I've been studing her all morning and she's not scratching now.
* She is eating well.

Does anybody know what this is and what I should do?

For more details about my tank setup feel free to check out the link in my sig.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited by vanguard on 03-13-2001 at 11:32 AM]

billsreef
03/13/2001, 11:35 AM
The photo isn't good enough for an ID unfortunately, I know it is a difficult task but if you can get one with good focus at about the same size and vantage that will be very valuable. From the photo it could be anything from ick to damage from a fight or banging into a rock. Right now I would just sit tight and watch closely for any changes, either the spot increasing in size, changes in color or the occurance of new spots on it or any other fish.

Your tank looks like it is coming along nicely :) Specs are good and looks like your calcium is starting to come up.

BTW glad to see it looks like your urchin is on the road to recovery :D

vanguard
03/13/2001, 12:30 PM
Billsreef,

Thank you for your reply. I went to take another picture but they spot is mostly gone. What's left is a tiny whitish area (but mostly orange) that I couldn't possibly capture with my limited photography skills and equipment.

I'll keep a close eye on the tank (as I always do).

As for the urchin he is doing well. I guess you checked out my tank log. The purple tip issue is gone and he hasn't lost a spine since the day after I bought him. According to Dr. Ron if he goes 4 of 5 days without any problems he should be out of the woods. I'm feeling good about him.

[Edited by vanguard on 03-13-2001 at 11:35 AM]