PDA

View Full Version : Orange spotted Goby question???

dbyamy
04/19/2003, 12:08 AM
I added a orange spotted goby to my rt today and he is making a huge mess. He has dug up so much sand that the whole tank is cloudy. My protein skimmer is taking it out slowly. My question is, will he always dig such big holes. He dug three deep holes and filled all of them back in the first six hours he was in the tank. I know they sift the substrate looking for food, but this is a little much. Thanks for any guidance.
Dave

EdKruzel
04/19/2003, 02:50 AM
Dave,
That's pretty much the proper behavorial pattern for this and other co-species.

If your substrate is shallow (<3''s) then this is what you want. The debris and fine silt will eventually fade away and things will remain clear in your tank.

Now if your sand bed is deeper than 3''s then this fish will decimate your fauna population and wreak havoc on your system.

Another annoying habit from these fish would be covering corals as they return the sand to the tank.

Good Luck,
Ed

dbyamy
04/19/2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have about 2 1/2 inches of crushed coral and sand on top substrate. He seems more mellow this morning, I just didn't realize how deep they dig. He is about 4" long now.
Dave

xL4zYx
04/19/2003, 10:04 AM
He's probably still getting used to the tank and is freaking out. A lot of fish act weird right when they get into a tank.

alkataz
04/19/2003, 01:27 PM
So these fish are bad for a deep sand bed that is being used for biofiltration

dbyamy
04/19/2003, 01:48 PM
Those that have one, how much substrate should these guys have and still be benificial to the tank??? I like the fish, but he has made a hell of a mess in my tank by almost completely filling a rock cave, leaving a spot almost to bare tank bottom in one corner.

He does seem to have stopped digging holes today, must have found a good home in the hole he dug under one of the bigger rocks. He slept in there last night.

My tank water is still a cloudy mess today. Glad I have a skimmer. Any help on feeding suggestions or care I would greatly appreciate.
Dave:confused:

EdKruzel
04/19/2003, 01:50 PM
Nothing worse for a DSB then sand sifting animals.

That is the variety that sifts the sand for fauna (worms & pods). These larger predators will decimate even big tanks.
It is the fauna that keeps the bed active. Without this population of miniature life forms moving the bed and helping to further break down waste, the bed is a giant nutrient trap.

Nassarius snails
Cukes
Conchs (fighting & queens)
spaghetti worms
bristle worms
hair worms
(ok all worms)
pods

These are the backbone of the DSB. There are many other factors and life forms that complete an active bed.

For further information you can read about it here:

http://www.rshimek.com/

Go to the links marked reef aquaria and then deep sand beds.

There is a ton of info on this site.

Take Care,
Ed

dbyamy
04/19/2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the advice.

jdallred
04/20/2003, 02:31 AM
dbyamy
Make sure you cover your tank as completely as you can, we just lost our orange spot last week when he found a 1 inch hole in the top and decided to look for larger oceans. He ate krill, mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and plankton.

supernip
04/20/2003, 05:44 AM
I love those guys... they do wonders for keeping my sand clean, although I have to brush sand off my rics daily. When you say orange spotted, do u mean the pretty shrimp gobies? cause if you do then get a pistol shrimp, it will localize ur problem as they are very attached to the shrimps and wont leave them

dbyamy
04/20/2003, 03:55 PM
I have a good cover and he eats everything I put in the tank thus far. I am just crabby that he still has my water a bit murky after three days, which is crabbing out the other inhabitants. I added 20lb’s more live sand to ensure he will have enough to eat.

He seems to get along with all other fish thus far including my Lawnmower Blenny.

Thanks for all responses,
Dave