PDA

View Full Version : What does a Foxface eat??

mjohnson72
04/17/2003, 09:09 PM
I got a Foxface from the LFS about a week ago. They told me that he is a vegetarian and to mainly feed him algae sheets. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is because he pretty much ignores the algae sheets when I put them in the tank, however the 1-inch square portion that I put in is usually gone the next morning.

So my two questions are (1) what do Foxface's eat and (2) how much of an algae sheet should I put in?

SAT
04/17/2003, 09:31 PM
The LFS is correct that Foxface are herbivores. If you have a lot of algae in the tank, he may just be grazing. If he doesn't like the algae sheet, try other herbivore foods (dried or frozen food containing marine algae or Spirulina) until you find something he likes. My old one (many years ago) used to eat flake food. With any food, use as much as the fish will consume. He should eat 2-3 times a day.

By the way, a 55 is OK for a small Foxface but he'll outgrow it fairly quickly. Rabbitfish need a lot of swimming space. Scott Michael recommends a minimum of 75G.

robertnb64
04/18/2003, 03:07 PM
What does a fox-face eat?... Everything!!! Mine ate prime reef as well as my own food of shrimp, clam & squid. He ate caulerpa and nori sheets. Give him time, at first mine ate very little of the sheet, then he would almost eat a 2" sq all at once!

uryy4me
04/18/2003, 03:27 PM
What Robertn64 said! Mine is an absolute pig too. Does your fox look like it is thinning or is it just to shy to eat in front of you?

NTAnnin
04/18/2003, 03:43 PM
You could try soaking the nori sheet in garlic extreme, made by kent marine, or some other garlic food suplement. Garlic tends to help finicky eaters and i used it to help feed one of my friends foxface rabit's last week. Seemed to work. Also, I would try frozen foods with marine algae. Vary it's diet a bit with some frozen food and some algae sheets daily. Hopefully it will start eating soon.

dc
04/18/2003, 05:49 PM
Mine eats everything too. I have a tank of Bryopsis, but he goes for anything in the tank.
http://images2.fotki.com/v21/photos/2/28482/171438/13foxface-vi.jpg